cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Internal Foaming of Old Decoys

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:30 am

I picked up several old Carry Lite super mag Mallard dekes the other day for $1.00 each. Probably paid too much. They are the largest Carry Lite deke that I’ve ever seen. So for something to do, I’m thinking of filling them with foam. Carry Lite is notorious for thin walled dekes that crack.

Anyone have experience with doing this and have advice to share? And no, I don’t plan on throwing them away and cut my loses.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: Internal Foaming of Old Decoys

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:48 pm

Brother in law did it. From what I can tell, it's easy to over fill them. They seem to be able to balloon quite a bit, then they roll a lot or sit off balance....

I think he used the can expanding foam. You might have better luck with a 2lb two part Marine foam, but that's only a guess.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:10 pm

The foam never really sets up or cures because it doesn’t get exposed to air.

I’ve tried fixing leakers like that and I’ve also tried making pulsators and using expanding foam to hold the internal parts. That stuff sucks for decoy work.

Better off to patch with PL400 or silicone or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:52 am

Quack wrote:The foam never really sets up or cures because it doesn’t get exposed to air.

I’ve tried fixing leakers like that and I’ve also tried making pulsators and using expanding foam to hold the internal parts. That stuff sucks for decoy work.

Better off to patch with PL400 or silicone or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flexseal! :D

If they are up/due for repainting, you might try a coat of this around the outside to give them a bit more body: https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/leakseal/leakseal

Seal any actual holes, spray with the white, rattle can your colors onto them. Easy enough for hens and MN early season drakes when our birds aren't really popping spring plumage until after Haloween.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:27 am

After some more research, it appears that closed cell foam is the way to go. The 2-part marine closed foam seems to be the preferred choice. However, there is some spray closed foam available for about $12.00 per can.

I guessing that I could fill 3-4 decoys with the spray foam. Not sure about the liquid 2-part foam. It is about $30.00 for 1/2 gallon of it. I'm guessing about 4-ounces per decoy. Either way, cost estimate is about $3.50 to $4.00 per decoy.

Drilling relief holes (2) in the decoy is important. It appears that a hole in the back of the neck and again at the tail seem to be the preferred method. You trim off the excess foam at these relief holes and fill with caulk.
'
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”