h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Best waterfowl gun that you ever have had

Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:07 am

To play off of Chuck's worst gun, let look at best guns.

I started with an old .410 bolt action for hunting, I have never shot as well with any other gun compared to that.
How well? 1st time I shot trap I had 6 shot, and scored a 17 and the furthest distance. Guys that were watching said if I had 8 shot I'd have shot a 22. I did not know at the time that it was very good. Not until later when I learned more did I appreciate how difficult that was.
I could out shoot guys while duck hunting, I had 2 guys empty their guns on a flock at 30yds and they are back peddling I and I pop off a shell at them at 45yds and down it came. Had one of the guys go 'what in the hell are you shooting?' I told him, they could be believe it.
I picked off crossing ruffed grouse at 45 yds with that .410. my dad was astounded when he paced it off.
So yeah it was a very good gun for me as it fit me well.

2nd best was a Smith and Wesson waterfowl 12ga Mdl 1000
3rd best was the Winchester SX2

Fast forward 50 yrs... I wish i could find a gun where I could come close to that fit and confidence that I once had.

So what's your best gun?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Re: Best waterfowl gun that you ever have had

Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:21 pm

Best now is my SBE 2 with some slight modifications. Before that was a Smith. & Wesson Waterfowler 1000M with 30 inch , full choke barrel. It pointed like a dream and was soft on recoil.

My first real waterfowl gun was a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 with a 30 inch, full choke. Kicked like a mule, but did the job.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Jrp267
Mergie Marauder

Re: Best waterfowl gun that you ever have had

Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:26 pm

Benelli Nova. It’s the only one still in the safe from the early days of duck hunting.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”