shnelson
Mergie Marauder

how often do you clean your shotgun?

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:06 am

My 870 started having issues cycling rounds recently, so I figured it was due time for a thorough cleaning - fully disassembling the receiver, trigger group etc. It was amazing what I found in there, and it got me to thinking that I probably hadn't done a cleaning this in depth for 3-4 years.

I've always made it a habit to do a quick wipe down and soaking in remoil after each hunt, but I've definitely neglected most of the mechanics as it always just works (well, until you get a bunch of pond snot built up behind the slide). Can't remember the last time I cleaned the barrel, in a non rifled bore it seems less critical to me.

Am I the only one this lazy about it? Always seems like the last thing I want to worry about when I get home is performing the necessary maintenance on the boom stick - it's either off to the recliner or on to more important chores when I get done cleaning the birds, if any. Not even a thought prior to a hunt, got too much other stuff to make sure is ready ;)

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: how often do you clean your shotgun?

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:09 am

I'm also lazy about it. I did clean it last weekend but that's because the dog dumped it in the slough. I always clean it good before and after season and couple times during spring snows.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:47 pm

Naw I pretty much don't clean mine. Versa Max I have had for three years and never disassembled and cleaned. I did have mud packed in the receiver in ND during Spring snows 2 years ago and sprayed rem oil in to get the mud out. It functions great still but does need a cleaning...on real cold days it sticks some but still cycles.

My old 870 I am almost embarrassed about that one...never took that fully apart in 13 years. I think the last time I used it it must have been wet and I forgot to let it dry...its a pile of rust now. Eventually I am going to reblue and everything, give it to my kid if I ever have one.

I just don't have the time or patience to clean as often as you are supposed to...so I tend to buy things that can handle abuse.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:49 pm

I try to do a decent cleaning every couple boxes of shells that I run through it. I just take the reciever and trigger assembly out and do a quick wipe down. I have yet to take the reciever or trigger assembly apart, mainly because I am scared I won't be able to reassemble them. I do get much more thorough if sand gets in it. Sand has to be the worst stuff to get in a semi or even a pump for that matter.

Question for those who shoot inertia semi auto's. How much oil do you use inside the gun? I have heard everything from "spray the piss out of it" to "nothing at all". I use as little as possible and only apply it on the slides.

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:53 pm

My al390 I take fully apart when it's been raining or wet from the dog. Otherwise it's a wipe down with WD-40. Been doing that since bought it.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:48 pm

I clean mine if it has been raining or I get it wet from splashing. Mostly the cleaning is just disassembly and drying it out. My SBE-II is a little bit touchy if it has been wet and then freezes. Otherwise, I thoroughly clean it at the end of the season.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

greenheadlover
Coot Commander

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:52 pm

when it needs it, acts up, jams or something,when it gets wet, muddy etc as well. do a few thorough cleans each year ecspecially after burning a couple cases of cheap trap loads on crows

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:32 am

I have a bore snake that I try to run thru after every hunt, but it's more like every third. At the end of the year I'll completely disassemble it and clean and oil or if it starts sticking or jamming I'll break it down. Otherwise if it gets wet I'll take the barrel and action out to clean/wipe down and oil but that's it. Rem 870

Sent from a phancy fone

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:23 am

Im not Mr. Maintence with my shotguns, had my Versa Max for 3 years and havn't even taken the barrel off, spray some Rem Oil in it once in awhile , thinking after this year I will take her apart and give it a good cleaning, it deserves it I guess....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:00 pm

I shouldn't own guns based on how poor I take care of them! my SX3 started jamming yesterday. First tare down cleaning on that gun since I bought it 2 years ago.
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”