Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Re: how often do you clean your shotgun?

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:55 pm

I clean mine whenever it gets wet which is most of the time. Usually I just take it apart and let it dry. Sometimes I spray it down with Gun Scrubber, follow by canned air on the mechanicals, then a bit of Rem Oil.

delta
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:36 pm

anytime I shoot a single shell through it, it gets torn down and cleaned. my hunting buddys laugh.
figure I got too much invested to ever have a malfunction I could of avoided....

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:58 pm

I don't clean near as often as delta does but I clean every couple of boxes maybe sooner, it depends on how dirty I feel like my gun has gotten.

DiverLine
Coot Commander

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:31 pm

If I shoot less than a box of shells and i know the gun stayed dry, I will just run a bore snake through the barrel.

More than a box of shells or if the gun gets wet, I will break down the gun and clean it completely.

I always make an effort to clean and oil the slide rails for the bolt. And also remove, clean, and oil the choke tube threads on the tube itself and inside the barrel. Reason why is because I use a Patternmaster black cloud tube for ducks and geese. A factory mod choke for sporting clays. And a extra full choke for Turkey hunting.

Its probably over kill but I don't care.

Benelli Super Black Eagle 2

Swartzy
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:24 am

I have a Browning BPS that I have had since I was 14. 33 Now. This year is the first year I have had it completely disassembled and cleaned. And that is only because it started acting up. I brought it to roger's gunsmithing and when I went to pick it up, he tells me that was one of the dirtiest guns he had ever seen. He said there was mud, brush and cattails jammed in there..

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Swartzy wrote:I have a Browning BPS that I have had since I was 14. 33 Now. This year is the first year I have had it completely disassembled and cleaned. And that is only because it started acting up. I brought it to roger's gunsmithing and when I went to pick it up, he tells me that was one of the dirtiest guns he had ever seen. He said there was mud, brush and cattails jammed in there..

Same with my BPS. Did have to make one repair to it last year. Its nice to sit back and relax on trips while guys fully break down their autos and clean then for a half hour every night.

lumbertick
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:46 pm

I do a full tear down after the season. If it gets really wet during the season or something seems to act funny then I will do it again. Otherwise just a good rub down once in a while (talking about my shotgun fyi)

lt

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:22 pm

Waterfowlist wrote:
Swartzy wrote:I have a Browning BPS that I have had since I was 14. 33 Now. This year is the first year I have had it completely disassembled and cleaned. And that is only because it started acting up. I brought it to roger's gunsmithing and when I went to pick it up, he tells me that was one of the dirtiest guns he had ever seen. He said there was mud, brush and cattails jammed in there..

Same with my BPS. Did have to make one repair to it last year. Its nice to sit back and relax on trips while guys fully break down their autos and clean then for a half hour every night.

I choose not to neglect my gun, it's certainly not top of the line but that doesn't mean I can't treat it like it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

169Sportsman
Coot Commander

Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:25 am

I shoot an extrema 2. I tend to clean it only when it starts acting up. I see a lot of guys use remoil. Personally I hate the stuff! Usually use break-free clp. I had a bps that I put remoil on the slide rails and it was still really sticky, put breakfree on it and it slid like a dream. Sea foam deep creep has been one of my favorite all purpose lubes lately but I haven't tried it on my guns yet.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:17 pm

169Sportsman wrote:I shoot an extrema 2. I tend to clean it only when it starts acting up. I see a lot of guys use remoil. Personally I hate the stuff! Usually use break-free clp. I had a bps that I put remoil on the slide rails and it was still really sticky, put breakfree on it and it slid like a dream. Sea foam deep creep has been one of my favorite all purpose lubes lately but I haven't tried it on my guns yet.

I do a complete tear down after summer clays are over then agin after the season. During season only if it gets wet.

I "made" my own oil, some AFT mixed with 5w-30 at out a 2:1 ratio. Been using it for 2.5 years with zero issues. Works in your vehicle at all temps right?
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”