h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Decoy Patterns

Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:49 pm

???? So which spelling is the good site?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Drake
I came here for the barrel sticker

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:44 pm

mnfowl of course. Seems like most of the douchebags are still over at the other one or have went awall. Dedduck has some of the best decoy carvers around, including "Grueby" who has a wealth of information and his mentor the main designer for tanglefree decoys and carver.

Drake

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:45 pm

Not trying to pimp the site, just wanted to give the OP another option to look into for help.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:27 pm

I meant duduck or dedduck....
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:20 pm

I am going to go check it out right now.

Drake

Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:51 pm

Sorry fowler, it is dedduck, no affiliation with DU.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:29 am

I think the level of DB was deserved in a couple cases over there. Seems someone was buying someone else's decoys the making molds off them... then manufacturing the molds :lol:

It's pretty much the same as copying music, putting it on a CD, and saying there isn't infringement because you transferred the recordings from cassette.

Drake~ the nice thing about this site, and I truly think SH Nelson gets it: this is the internet and the "inter" stands for interconnected. Dedduck/Workingdecoys aren't competitors to this site and the availability to share non-cannabilizing information freely should be what engages users. Better to be seen as a reliable source for the best information than a reliable source for the information that 20 know-it-alls can give.

Thanks for the tip on Dedduck. Gruby does fabulous work, I'd say one of the top in foam from what I've seen.

Browningguy~ show us some stuff if/when you get it. Not even so much that we can learn, but it's always nice to see how tips/leads/advice get a person to where they were going. The absolute worst is when you help someone out on a spot, then never hear a "thanks, we had a great time and did..."

browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:27 pm

I have not posted on either forum. I registered on workingdecoys just so I could read all of the posts on there. I feel like workingdecoys had a little better tutorial posts for begineers. I didn't spend a ton of time on Dedduck though. Right now I am just picking and choosing what I think I could do. I found a pattern book at the local library and when I get some extra time here I am hoping I can trace a few out and put them on somesort of cardstock or heavyweight paper. Thanks to everyone for the tips on both of these sites. I am looking forward to garage sale season to see if I can't find some of the tools that guys recommend for really cheap.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:21 pm

I'd only post on the other sites if you have a specific question related to technique or materials. I've made one or two posts there, but wasn't able to follow-up with what I thought I'd get done. Still have 25lbs of Foam-Coat I need to put on about 3 doz Herter's 72s.

And don't worry, you won't be the first guy that works on his decoy project for years ;-)

browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:59 am

Hahahahaha... I just need something to do as a break from the daily grind.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”