shnelson
Mergie Marauder

anyone use a keyhole or cut down call?

Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:47 pm

Just curious to know if anyone uses one this far north. I know they're about the only thing to use once you get south of MO. If they work so well down there for well educated birds in the timber, why haven't us yanks adopted them up here yet?

Are they only good for timber?

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: anyone use a keyhole or cut down call?

Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:52 pm

Plan is to have one before season this year. Told it takes a different style of calling.

sent from your under your bed
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:04 pm

shnelson wrote: I know they're about the only thing to use once you get south of MO. If they work so well down there for well educated birds in the timber

You are very mistaken. The calls have absolutely nothing to do with anything. A lot of people use cutdowns...the Ar woods are full of Kirk Mccullough fanboys. Not all kill ducks with any regularity. Such as those cutdown users that stole ducks out of our boat in the parking area!

Some cutdowns sound good. Some are loud. Some are effective. Same as any other call. As far as true cutdowns, there's only a couple guys that are good at it, and the odds of finding one of their calls is slim.
Dominate The Skies.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:58 pm

I guess I conveniently forgot about rich n tone when I made that statement.

Still has me curious though, you seen anybody up here use one? Why not?

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:32 pm

I have. And the calls worked fine, but they were in the hands of experienced users.

They all have a unique sound, and if that's what you want it's the right call. Operation is a little different, but they aren't that difficult to blow, and they tend not to have the range of a quality single reed Arkansas style j-frame.
Dominate The Skies.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:35 am

What is a key hole and cut down? The j-frame I think I get, the insert looks like a j with cork shoved in it to hold the reed... right?

Sent from a phancy fone

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:10 pm

Olt started making keyholes long ago.

"Cutdown" is just a term used by those that modified the toneboards to change the way the air hits it. Generally you'd get more volume and more "bark" as they say. When done right, you could put as much air as you could handle through them and they wouldn't squeel or lock up.

Check out google or youtube for Kirk Mccullough videos. You'll see how the calls are...and how all the morons in the Ar woods jump around like a bunch of Kansas City ******.
Dominate The Skies.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:08 pm

gimpfinger wrote:Plan is to have one before season this year. Told it takes a different style of calling.

sent from your under your bed

Looks like you gots 2 werk it!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kABVvBD4eo[/youtube]

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”