soolong
Coot Commander

My latest creation

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:50 pm

20140722_112217.jpg
This is my first post on this Forum. I inherited this boat from my Father Last year. It is a 15 foot modified V Alumacraft Waterfowler. Against the mud motor speed crowd I decided to put a Backwater 23 hp SWOMP Long tail on it. It does a whopping 15 mph with just me LOL. Just scratches 12 mph with two guys in gear. I added Beavertail Pods because of splash over the transom which it did cure. I did not loose any top speed and it now goes on plane quicker. I put a fresh camo job on it and mounted up the beavertail blind. At first I was disappointed in the performance of the boat and wanted to sell it for more speed. I could hear the I told you so voices in the back of my head. I then realized that this boat has something the speed guys don't. This boat is filled with memories of hunting with my dad. None of those fast boats can offer that. Yes I will probably be at the landing before most of you but that is only because my boat is slow. I love boat pictures so post up some pictures of your rigs.
I like most things with white cheeks.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Re: My latest creation

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:45 pm

Nice pic! Thanks for sharing and the story.

I have a similar boat, Crestliner MV1448 with a Beavertail flip-over as well. Don't have the mud motor yet, but an Evinrude 20-hp does the job pretty well.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

soolong
Coot Commander

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:43 pm

I really like the Backwater motor for the shallow stuff but my Johnson 15 hp short shaft is so much easier to use in deep water. If you do buy a mud motor do yourself a favor and keep your 20 hp Evinrude.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:11 pm

backwater1.JPG

Alumacraft 1650 with a swamp 27hp. I get 17 mph on my own and about 14 mph with 2 guys and gear. No pods.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

soolong
Coot Commander

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:26 am

I kind of wish I would have purchased the 27 HP like you. It only weighs 10 lbs more. Nice motor!

Return to “Boats and Motors”