cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Mini Pontoon

Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:22 am

http://aquacraftinc.com/Video/video.html

This looks like an alternative to traditional boat hunting.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Mini Pontoon

Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:39 am

rats... I do not have the full version (paid VS free) to decode a MP4 video....

But I did look at the photos. My concern for hunting sloughs would be the hull design. Yes the pontoons are wide so less draft, but they are flat so you will ride up on top of cattails VS parting them with the V point.

Also the rail height would need to be added on too to add a blind so it'd be high enough. And over all your height will be greater (you will stick out more) compared to a boat where the floor is 12-18" lower

Lastly, unless it came factory painted, one is SOL. Why, because almost all bare(non painted) aluminum on boats are coated with a plastic type of coating to keep the aluminum from oxidizing. And so when painted, because of the coating, the paint does not like to stick (flakes off).

And considering how cheap traditional pontoon boat go for on CL and other places, if one wanted a big floating hunting blind I think you'd be better off cost wise to buy an old used one and modify it.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:05 pm

I just saw this boat on the Flyway Highway on the Pursuit channel and it has a camoed top and sides on it--it stood really tall. They had it up against a downed tree. and bank behind them and it worked for shooting Woodies in N WI. That being said, if using it the way they have it set up in a slough it'd really stick out

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:32 am

I just saw that episode as well. Yes, it had a very tall profile and would be difficult to hide. With some creativity, that could change. The concept of using a small, lightweight pontoon still has it merits.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:03 am

I would think that it would be best for a specialized use. Similar that a sneak boat has its merits, or a big 18' fishing type boat for big water diver hunting has its merits.

As for the little pontoon, it seemed like it was a bit tippy, meaning not nearly as stable as a std sized pontoon boat is.

Takem1
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:27 am

There is one in Olivia for $500 with trailer

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Return to “Boats and Motors”