cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Re: Any Floatation Pod Testimonies.....

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:53 am

Thanks everyone for your responses....they are helpful.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Jrp267
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:36 pm

soolong wrote:I just put pods on my Alumacraft 15x44 mod v. The reason I put them on my boat is because i am running a long tail mud motor. My problem was with backwash over the transom when slowing down suddenly. Well the pods did the trick and I have no more backwash. I cannot tell a speed difference with my mud motor. It does get on plane faster at just under half throttle vs just over half throttle which is nice. I mounted them so they are tipped a 1/2 in up in the rear. I notice that I lost a little top speed with my 15 hp outboard. The bow does not come up in the front nearly as far as it used to which makes for a wet ride in a chop. I can run shallower with either motor but not by more than an inch or two. If I was not running a long tail mud motor I personally would not waste the money. My boat is better for hunting in shallow slews but it is not better in rough open water. The Pods will end up costing you $250.00 to 500.00 depending on size. If you can not weld aluminum you can add another $100.00 to $200.00 in installation. After tax shipping and installation I had almost $500.00 into my small beavertail pods. It fixed my back splash problem and they work great for me for hunting but not so much for fishing.

If tipped a 1 1/2 inches they would have had little impact with the outboard. But much the same affect for the mud motor.

soolong
Coot Commander

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:06 pm

Thanks for the tip. Just because of the cost I don't think I will be changing the angle of the pods anytime soon. I decided to go with 1/2 in. tip because that is what Beavertail recommended. They stated that with more than a 1/2 in. of tip up in the rear I could possibly have porpoising when using my outboard motor. I watched some you tube videos on porpoising after installing pods. That was fuuny! I knew I did not want that. I wish that there was an easy inexpensive way to test pods before welding them on. I think I will purchase a longer boat without a mod-v hull before I change the pod angle. :) Good info for people looking to install pods. Cheers!
I like most things with white cheeks.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:09 pm

I'm in the process (which means I need to get off my butt and just do it) of building bolt on pods for my boat

Return to “Boats and Motors”