greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Canoe

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:24 pm

What does a guy look for when purchasing a canoe?

Obviously make sure it floats, doesn't leak, etc., but what else should I look at? Wood? Aluminum? other material?

I want to get one mostly for scouting for bowhunting so smaller rivers and creeks as well use to get to hot spots on sloughs too.

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Re: Canoe

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:02 pm

If you want something that you can put a motor on a Grumman Sport Canoe is pretty handy. Its basically a pregnant square back canoe that is very stable.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:28 pm

You'll need to understand keel vs no keel, and your unique canoe-ability.

Canoe design terms/concepts that will be beneficial to learn are: Rocker, Side Shape, Freeboard, Entry Line.

Pulled this up for you: http://langfordcanoe.com/canoes/tutorials/

Also, make sure you fit the paddle correctly to your size and the canoe. I have a 17' tandem fiberglass keeled Herter's that is a freighter. It's great for a load, but with one paddler is a bi**h in turning in the wind. I'm thinking I might chop the end off and put in a transom.

Anyway, I've seen a lot of guys unhappy with canoes, but I think most of that comes from having grabbed one that was cheap, rather than considering it's capability.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:36 am

Do you like canoeing? I think the biggest reason canoes get a bad rap is because people don't know what they're doing with them and don't spend enough time using them to figure it out.

The first question with any acquisition is setting a budget and working within. If you don't see yourself using it a lot, can you justify dropping a grand or two on something really nice?

I use aluminum for durability, price, and availability, but I'd love to have something that's a tad quieter when bouncing off rocks or when a shotshell is dropped, etc.

15' flatbottom Grumman with a keel, wide boat, good for hunting
17' Alumicraft Voyaguer(?) with a keel for trippin and pleasure paddling
Grumman Sportboat when motoring or going solo.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:10 am

For what I want to use it for, definitely not looking to break the bank.

I've canoed plenty in the past and do enjoy it but it will mostly be for scouting trips than anything. Duck hunted with buddies a few times this year and we used 4 canoes to haul all the gear and guys out. Should just ask to use one of them and save $ and time looking.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:45 am

A well timed case of beer might rent you the canoe for the season. I had an 8' duck boat in my possession for a number of years based on my buddy not having a place to store it. His nephew started hunting, lil' bast age had a place to store it, I lost 8' duck boat :lol:

Canoes are a lot like that 8' duck boat~ a lot of guys don't have the interest/skill/time to make them work. Heck, a lot of guys can't make anything work. But if you know a guy and can flip a favor to store it for him, it might give you a chance to see if investing in your own makes sense. I'd love to get that little boat back, but never would have thought of it if it hadn't been a loaner/storage deal.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Go on craigslist and look for a 17ft alumacraft. You shouldn't spend more than $300 on a non leaker, maybe a small dent or two but fully functional. They are light and you can beat the pizz out of them, they don't paddle like a $2000 boat built for long distances but that's not what you're looking for.

And if you're alone, just kneel in the middle or sit backwards on the front seat. Not sure why this is such a hard thing for guys to figure out.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:50 pm

Are you going to store it outside? Then you need an aluminum canoe as all the others will weather poorly.

All tandem canoes are hard to handle by yourself. After fighting wind for too many years and flipping in a November day when the ducks got up on my extreme right, I bought a solo covered canoe (or kayak).

High end canoes are outrageously expensive but are lifetime investments. I have:
http://www.bellcanoe.com/products/defau ... &catid=193
in Black Gold
and
http://www.bellcanoe.com/products/defau ... &catid=195
in a natural green Kevlar. I love hunting out of this. It's rock solid except when getting in or out of it.

The people at Midwest Mountaineering can talk you through all the choices. They have a consignment sale in the spring with over 100 canoes. They and others have Demo Days where you can try new ones.

I see there is a Bell canoe for sale on Craigslist.
http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/boa/4234934085.html
Royalex is a pretty tough material. But I would be hesitant to buy a shorter canoe.

I also see that Bell may be out of business.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:51 am

Why am I the only person on earth that doesn't seem to have a problem handling a canoe solo in the wind?

Bill brings up a good point about canoes, if you don't tie yourself in by pushing a stick ( I use the handle end of my pushpole) into the mud near a middle thwart and lashing the thwart to the pushpole, the odds of you taking a swim go up dramatically. Especially if you're sitting down and shooting to your far right as a right handed shot. But if you're tied in its like shooting from shore.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:12 pm

The canoe will be stored indoors.

Like I mentioned earlier, not looking to spend a ton because it will be used mainly for scouting trips for bowhunting and possibly an occasional duck hunt but that isn't too likely as I field hunt 99% of the time.

Return to “Boats and Motors”