lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Used Boat Trailers?

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:19 pm

Anyone know a shop/boat place that has used boat trailers in the 14' range?

Can pick a new one up for the 14' from Fleet Farm for about $690. Wanting something to compare. Craigslist has proven a bust, found one that would work, and any of the webbies I search seem to start at 16'.

The one I've got needs a new tire, new bunk, and to have some of it's rust welded back together... figure after all that I'll save me a few hours, dollars and tears scrapping it out.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Used Boat Trailers?

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:51 pm

Northern tool still have the put together ones?

sent from your under your bed
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:06 pm

Web search hasn't pulled them up. But web search doesn't pull up boat trailers at Fleet Farm either. Northern has a PWC put together for $530. If I'd gotten taxes done sooner might have been able to pick up the Fleet Farm one on sale for $590 last week.

If I get a put together one I might just get a utility trailer and modify it. Boat is light enough to drop off and use the trailer for hauling.

The boat dealer websites don't show anything for trailers. A couple decent deals on non-current boat/motor/trailers if you're looking at new....

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:16 pm

I got an old one from nothern. Was hoping to get another since I let someone use it and its three foot shorter now after they jackknifed it. Barely fits my 14 foot john now. Hope they still carry them.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:00 am

Was the one from Northern angle + channel, or was it tube?

The one I've got now is angle + channel. Not liking that too much. The Fleet Farm model looked like 2 x 3 tube.

Don't know why boat trailers are a mystery to find pricing on. Found another ducky hunting site that guy said he got his Karavan galvanized for $700.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:20 am

Tube sides with channel cross bars.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:03 am

lanyard wrote:some of it's rust welded back together... .

And thus that is why to avoid all painted trailers. Hot dipped glavanized trailers are the way to go.

I've had brand new trailers have 30% of the paint off and rusty in 3 years time, and have seen paint peeling off of new trailers at dealers lot :shock:

Especially of you have tubular frame, they drill holes into so the galvanizing gets into the inside too which makes for a much longer laster steel frame. Paint never gets inside so condensation starts the inside rusting right away.

Another option is an aliminum trialer--but quite expensive compared to a steel/galv trailer.

I'd seriously suggest looking up some of the bigger boat dealers and see what the cost difference is between a painted and galv tlr. 10 years ago it was $80 more for a Galv trailer for 14-16' boat. It was the best $80 that I spent that year. The dealer I bought from used to be up next the Cabela's in Roger's. (I think they folded up or downsized when the economy went south 5 years ago). They did not even carry painted trailers for the very reason I mentioned above, as the dealer said: we want good customer satisfaction with our customers, so that's why we don't carry something that is going to make a customer unhappy. He had a VG point.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:39 am

Painted with rhino lining on it.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:12 pm

Get a used one and put truck bed liner on it. I did this 2 years ago and its held up great so far. I got a old 1970s something trailer from the junk yard for $200. After new LED lights, tires and everything else I have just over $500 into it.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:44 pm

I am not sure where you are located but right now there is a boat trailer on K-Bid that is located in Oak Grove. The auction finishes tonight. The trailer is in pretty rough shape but the current bid is only at $115.

Return to “Boats and Motors”