browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

First Goose Retrieve

Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:28 am

Pretty pumped up so I figure I'll share my excitement. Didn't have the best field lined up for early goose but did have one with about 30 to 40 geese using it. I took my lab last year when he was a few months shy of two but just in short periods to give him some experience. He kind of drug a goose back last year but I really didn't count it. Well after working super hard all off season on getting a good solid sit, getting more used to his blind, I decided he was really ready to hunt this year. No short lead and I trusted him enough to even shoot myself. I was a little nervous because last year we had some struggles with patience in the blind. Well all the hard work from last year to this year paid off. He popped right in his blind and did pretty darn good job controlling all his excitement. Sat there and watched all the pigeons and a couple sandhills land in the field next to us. Didn't whine. And when all of the geese came at once he hunkered down let them circle us once and come right in. I let the guy I was with shoot first while I did a quick check to make sure he didn't break which he didn't then picked out one for myself. We prob could have shot better and gotten more than just one each but I could have cared less. One started walking down the field so I called him to heal, and he could hardly contain himself but he did until I sent him. Took a bit of figuring out how to pick it up but he got it and delivered to hand. Pretty fired up to see all the training starting to really pay off.
20150906_071902.jpg

Swartzy
Mergie Marauder

Re: First Goose Retrieve

Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:03 am

Great job. My dogs are scared of geese on land but will retrieve them on the water.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Awesome
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:00 am

Thanks guys

browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:04 am

Funny to look back at this post. Only made it out one time for early goose this year, but our group managed to get 6. My boy never broke, got all 6 no prob. and was a gentleman in the blind for the most part. I couldn't have been more proud.

Return to “Gun Dogs”