hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Re: Best Place/Avenue to Find a Decent Black Lab Puppy

Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:47 pm

Nershi wrote:
2. Dogs are a lot more expensive than what they used to be. Be prepared for $1,200-2,500 from a 'reputable breeders'. I have found a few from $600-1,000 but my impression from them has been luke warm. Not too long ago $500 would get you a good dog from a reputable breeder.

Vet bills aren't what they used to be either. Heartworm, lepto, lymes, tick prevention.....it gets spendy. But having a quality dog on the hunt adds another dimension.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:48 pm

To the AKC issues: is like other "values" certifications. Is the ANSI rated motor oil any worse than Mobil 1?

More importantly will be if your dog comes with any guarantees on genetics. Eyes, elbows, hips, cancer.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:22 pm

Yep, AKC by itself doesn't mean anything, but it is the vehicle that documents the achievements (PROOF of abilities) of the puppy's predecessors.

In other words, everyone says their dog is/would be the greatest hunter in the world, but hunt test and field trial achievements prove the lineage had the ability to do hunting work and be trainable.

So we're going down a trail of conversation that doesn't really interest you as a consumer, but known lineage and experienced breeding is how you or the breeder increases the odds of you getting a puppy you'll be happy with.

Ditto Lanyards words on genetic testing and guarantees.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:21 pm

AKC just means it is a pure bred, that is it.

A a pure bred of what?

Look at the Goldens, there are basically 2 different lineages, 1 for the blond long haired "show" dog, and another for the traditional red haired hunting lineage. You can mix them and call them AKC registered. But which would you want as a hunting dog owner?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:32 pm

Ever get one Nershi? Now that the gf's cat died, I know she's sad and would love a new lab to be buddies with. I'm still not sure if I want the commitment/spend the money at this time but renewing my investigation into possibly getting one

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:49 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Ever get one Nershi? Now that the gf's cat died, I know she's sad and would love a new lab to be buddies with. I'm still not sure if I want the commitment/spend the money at this time but renewing my investigation into possibly getting one

My kid has dog allergies and we weren't certain how he'd react to a dog in the house so we gambled on a re-home dog that is lab mixed with something else, we think terrier. Anyway, the weife's argument was $200 vs $1,200 and it's a whole lot easier to deal with if the kid can't handle the dog.

My rebuttal was, "But what if it DOES work out?". Well, it worked out, and we have a terrific family pet.

But he's not my dog, he will not hunt (mostly blind), and I had him snipped: this dog should not be allowed to breed and bring the gene pool lower......

All of that to say: if the GF wants a buddy, there is nothing wrong with that. But you don't need a $1,200+ dog and the associated time/training/etc to get a solid house dog. It just won't be YOUR dog.

The gist: if it's one dog, my recommendation is to get YOUR dog and she gets to hang out with it. If it's her dog, it's just a pet. Maybe you get lucky, but it's more likely you'll have a great house dog that is at best half-ass in the field.

Even though we have great family dog, I still want a MY dog.

Also, vet bills don't cost less for cheap dogs... if anything, you'll spend more due to bad genetics.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:51 am

Oh, almost forgot: congratulations on the dead cat... the sun shines a little brighter on those days :-)

At least if it's anything like the hell-paw I had to live with for a year..... I'll never forget that cat's name: Jasmine. That was damn near 30 years ago and i still hate that f'ing cat.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:11 pm

Ya cats are terrible was hard to see the GF so down but happy it's gone.

She wants a buddy but she hunts and realizes we are getting a hunting dog if we get one, and she's also smart enough to know I'm not paying and putting up with 2 dogs haha. It doesn't have to be a fantastic hunting dog it needs to jump into water and retrieve, and still be good at home.

You guys are right, was looking at a couple lab places yesterday and 1850 for a dog damn. I dunno bout this now haha

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:51 pm

There are some fair looking litters in the back of Outdoor News for reasonable prices.

There can also be very nice dogs in shelters. Last year around thanksgiving I was feeling pretty sorry for myself and checked petfinder... plenty of nice looking labs that were pretty darn sure pure bred but of course the shelter doesn’t know so they call them lab mixes. Gotta be good at interviewing dogs though, unless you and your gf agree that dogs can be rehomed again if they aren’t working out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:56 pm

I did not get one. I am out of town just about every weekend and would feel guilty leaving it with friends and family to watch it all the time. If I had a lady at the house to watch the dog while I am gone I would have pulled the trigger by now. Maybe next year.

I think I would be more motivated if I didn't have a dog to hunt with during the fall. Most of the guys I hunt with have a dog and even if they can't hunt I take their dog for the weekend or trip.

Good luck in your search.

Return to “Gun Dogs”