triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

So, whats your hunting dog?

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:19 pm

So what's everyone use. I have a black lab that started hunting with me last year at the age of 5 months. He has a pretty good year last year and this year I really couldn't have asked for anything more.
His biggest problem is shallow water retrieves on teal. He can fit the bird inside hid mouth and has a tendency to squeeze a little to hard.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Re: So, whats your hunting dog?

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:51 pm

Here's my black lab, we picked him up from a shelter almost 4 years ago now at the age of 6-8wks.

Didn't know what to expect, he ended up a little gun shy and too eager to sit in a boat. He's fairly short haired and appears to lack an undercoat so he doesn't get wet when it starts to cool off, but turned out to be an exceptional upland dog. Still trying to figure out what he's mixed with, runs about 120-125lbs.

When I approach obtaining another dog, for hunting, it'll be of proper papers and probably started. Hell, let's make him a silver lab while I'm at it, I think they look cool :)
Attachments
IMG_0335_r.jpg

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:15 pm

Here are my kids. 2 yellow labs. 1 American 1 British lines. American is crazy the Brit is calm subdued and not a psycho when people come over. American is hard driven and will retrieve until the cows come home. Except geese, hates me and plucks em. The Brit has a ton of stamina and drools in the predawn light when mallards are landing in the field spread.

The lil man is 3 months now, he's already a natural born killer. Came out wrestling an anaconda and then bit it in half. His mom said it was his umbilical cord. I'm telling him it was an anaconda when he comprehends his accomplishment.
Attachments
image.jpg

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:23 pm

Here's my lab. His first retrieve last year at the age of 5-1/2 months.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:05 pm

Last edited by gimpfinger on Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

tyler
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:12 am

Here I am. I retrieve all my birds by foot or boat. A dog would be a lifesaver but it's not practical for me to own one right now.
Attachments
101_1146.JPG

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:35 am

tyler wrote:Here I am. I retrieve all my birds by foot or boat. A dog would be a lifesaver but it's not practical for me to own one right now.

Hey now you're in my spot. Stay out of my spots.:grin:

Sent from under your sister.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:10 am

I used to have to retrieve all my birds until on time walking a small creek that was knee deep to retrieve a duck and the bottom fell out turned me upside down with neoprene waders, I struggled to upright myself that was it. Be careful.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:13 am

randywatson wrote:Here are my kids. 2 yellow labs. 1 American 1 British lines. American is crazy the Brit is calm subdued and not a psycho when people come over. American is hard driven and will retrieve until the cows come home. Except geese, hates me and plucks em. The Brit has a ton of stamina and drools in the predawn light when mallards are landing in the field spread.

The lil man is 3 months now, he's already a natural born killer. Came out wrestling an anaconda and then bit it in half. His mom said it was his umbilical cord. I'm telling him it was an anaconda when he comprehends his accomplishment.

Haha good stuff!

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:17 pm

Here's a little more recent picture, from last year. First canvasback retrieve had to cross state lines for this one.Image

He was 7-8 months old at the time of the picture.

Return to “Gun Dogs”