h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Best Place/Avenue to Find a Decent Black Lab Puppy

Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:19 am

"Introduce" means raise a paw. "Shake off" means to shake the water off.

A VERY handy gesture to teach is to raise your forearms to chest means for it to sit. Because if it wants to jumps up - a person will instinctively raise their forearms to protect themselves, so the dog then sitting calms a potentially awkward or worse situation.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:07 am

Just hope he don't pick up any bad habits, GF wants to take him on a road trip to Idaho with her parents, brother, and their 3 labs this coming Friday through just after new years. I probably can't go at all with work, although looking at maybe flying out a few days around New year's. She's going to have to continue working on some commands with him while out there. And I already made it clear to her parents no people food. Their 3 labs are very misbehaved, bother you while eating, don't listen great, tear shit apart, run all over. They are nice dogs but not the type of dog I want.

Not necessarily totally on board with her taking him when we are still working on a lot of things, otherwise I wouldn't care

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Best Place/Avenue to Find a Decent Black Lab Puppy

Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:06 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:"Introduce" means raise a paw. "Shake off" means to shake the water off.

A VERY handy gesture to teach is to raise your forearms to chest means for it to sit. Because if it wants to jumps up - a person will instinctively raise their forearms to protect themselves, so the dog then sitting calms a potentially awkward or worse situation.
Fk then it's introduce. Pretty sure everyone knew what was meant.

"They introduced after the fight and are now friends"....naw I'll stick to shake.

sent from deez nutz lay'n on yo chin
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:10 pm

Personally I don't want a duck dog that will want to introduce himself. It can get to be a addictive habit for a dog to do and a waterfowl dog is always muddy and wet and it gets everywhere and on everyone when they sit and try to introduce to everyone.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:02 am

Personally I want a dog that is friendly towards people (1 of the reasons I've had 3 Goldens) and well behaved. I've had an Alpha Choc Lab dog that was not too keen around some people, (a hell of a guard dog, but he bit a few people), so ut was a royal PITA, so for my sake (worry, fear of lawsuits), etc, I do NOT want ever to be in that situation ever again. Partially because of his behavior and partly because of his severe epilepsy, I ended putting him down at age 6. I do not wish that situation for a dog owner even if he was an enemy of mine.

So what command to you use from them the sake off the water/mud?

And like I said, the gesture of forearms going up to ones chest means for them to sit - takes away most mishaps around people.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:29 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Just hope he don't pick up any bad habits, GF wants to take him on a road trip to Idaho with her parents, brother, and their 3 labs this coming Friday through just after new years. I probably can't go at all with work, although looking at maybe flying out a few days around New year's. She's going to have to continue working on some commands with him while out there. And I already made it clear to her parents no people food. Their 3 labs are very misbehaved, bother you while eating, don't listen great, tear shit apart, run all over. They are nice dogs but not the type of dog I want.

Not necessarily totally on board with her taking him when we are still working on a lot of things, otherwise I wouldn't care

I think that your intuition/gut feeling is telling you something that you should heed.
If it were me, my pup would not be going, especially with 3 other adult dogs at that young of an age. Just way too much that can go wrong that would effect it the rest of their lives, because they grow emotionally/mentally 12.7 yrs human yrs that 1st year, and by time they are 10 its only 3 yrs, (it a sliding scale emotional/mentally maturity, with an average of 7 yrs over their lives). My point is that from age 2 months to 4 months they are like children from age 2 to 4 yrs - what they learn then sticks with them the rest of their lives - especially fearful situations. That is why the basics and positive reinforcement are so important in that time line. 3 misbehaving adult dogs. well as I see it that is a recipe for disaster to adversely effect a young pup, so my pup would not be going as I want it to have the best chance for me to have a well behaved dog the next 10+ yrs. So a week and 1/2 of an unruly environment can spell big trouble for another 10 yrs.+ It's just not worth the risk from my view point. Just follow your instincts and heart is my recommendation.

Case in point about a bad situation and a pup. My sister had a mutt that was about 4 mo old and she had a break in. It was in the big box while she was at work. What we think happened is that it was jumping up and perhaps barked at the 2 robbers, and they hit it, perhaps repeatedly. It's personality was markedly different after that robbery. That little Terrier mix dog did NOT trust any male person after that the rest of its life. It trusted only 2 men, my dad and 1 friend of the family. Any male, including me, it cowered or was very nervous around men til the day it died.

Thus why IMHO I feel it's so important to give a pup the BEST chance for a well adjusted life when it is growing up as a pup. You can't control robbers hitting your dog, but you can control putting the pup in a potentially bad situation/environment.

But Chad you are not me, as each person will do as they see fit, and that is the reality of it all.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:46 am

h2ofwlr wrote:Personally I want a dog that is friendly towards people (1 of the reasons I've had 3 Goldens) and well behaved. I've had an Alpha Choc Lab dog that was not too keen around some people, (a hell of a guard dog, but he bit a few people), so ut was a royal PITA, so for my sake (worry, fear of lawsuits), etc, I do NOT want ever to be in that situation ever again. Partially because of his behavior and partly because of his severe epilepsy, I ended putting him down at age 6. I do not wish that situation for a dog owner even if he was an enemy of mine.

So what command to you use from them the sake off the water/mud?

And like I said, the gesture of forearms going up to ones chest means for them to sit - takes away most mishaps around people.
Just stop...

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Quack wrote:My wife’s boss got a chessie pup about 2 months ago. Brings it to work daily so She has been telling me how this was the nicest pup she’s ever seen. Finally got to meet the pup today and was blown away. Most laid back, yet friendly and intelligent looking, pup I’ve ever seen.

If only we could KNOW what personality a pup would have when we bought them. Looking forward to talking to the wife’s boss and seeing how much of this was luck vs picking the right breeder and picking the right pup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a dogs personality is mostly shaped by how they are raised. I think how you communicate and interact with a dog has a lot to do with how it acts.

High strung owners usually have high strung dogs and vice versa.

So basically nurture is more important than nature imo. Genetics certainly play a role.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:53 pm

Any suggestions on the safest hard chew toy? Seems like there's downsides to all of them, GF bought him a nylabone and I said are you nuts? But then read a lot of negatives on rawhide, antlers, etc. Not really sure what he should have

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:17 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Any suggestions on the safest hard chew toy? Seems like there's downsides to all of them, GF bought him a nylabone and I said are you nuts? But then read a lot of negatives on rawhide, antlers, etc. Not really sure what he should have
Kong tire. Runnings has them. It's a rubber toy but took my lab a year to wreck it and then after that I just gave him old boat trailer tires.

Return to “Gun Dogs”