maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: Best Place/Avenue to Find a Decent Black Lab Puppy

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:36 pm

IMG_20190909_081127312-2137x1202.jpg

He pointed a fly this morning lol. I'm not a big upland guy but kinda curious if he's got some upland skills in him. May have to go buy some birds and release them on our property see how he does

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:16 pm

Any tips on prevention of him tearing his sack up? Seems every time we go out hunting his nuts are bleeding

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:53 pm

Isn’t it obvious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:36 pm

We'll, yeah outside that lol. We might go down that route but we may try to breed him at some point as well if he turns into a good dog

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue May 19, 2020 10:30 pm

Anybody have any input on running with your dog and how much is too much or how hot temperature wise is too hot to run? Or if there's any concerns on their joints long term?

We've worked up to a loop approx 2.9 miles that we do almost every evening...he absolutely loves running. Reading his body language he doesn't seem like he's getting pushed too hard...he's happy, tail is straight up not lowered...and we get home he still usually wants to play fetch in the back yard for a while.

But it still worries me especially as the temps start rising and it's hard to find anything really concrete online.

I think over 80 degrees maybe I wouldn't push him as hard? Sound reasonable? We typically go about 6-7 pm anyway as the sun isn't as strong and sometimes it starts cooling a little. And it's not like he's an overweight out of shape dog he's about as in shape as a dog can be we keep him very active or he goes a little crazy

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:51 pm

Anybody know much about leg injury's/issues?

Was weird this morning we went outside he was fine...I didn't see him slip or yip it anything...are breakfast then he laid on the bed while I did paperwork

Couple hrs latter he hopped off the bed wasn't putting any weight on his right back leg. He seemed to be in pain.

But I got him moving around and it seemed to not bother his as much...he was super excited for treats and chased me around the house. I tried feeling his whole leg, thigh, hip spine etc and he never acted like anything was unpleasant

Gf us at home now says he's still favoring that leg but when she took him outside he was walking normal.

Are like pulled muscles/cramps a thing in dogs at all never had much experience with anything like that

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:19 pm

Probably an ACL tear.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:24 pm

Ugh damn. Thanks. I looked up some of the symptoms and he has kinda started sitting with the injured leg out to the side as a possible symptom

I hope not but...guess better prepare for worst and hope for best. We'll give it a day or two and if it don't clear up I guess we'll take him in

Any contributing factors to that that can be avoided if that's the cause of his issues? Or just a roll of the dice sorta thing? He's super active we run 3 miles almost nightly unless it's super hot or cold and lots of fetch. Is all that activity good or bad? I felt it was good he was in great shape

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:22 pm

ACL tears often happen during stop and go juke and jive moves. Sometimes the dog yelps, sometimes not. I wouldn’t razzle dazzle with them and encourage the stop and go, side side, change directions stuff but really there’s only so much you can do to guide an athletic hunting dog. It’s an occupational hazard.

Return to “Gun Dogs”