maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: Best Place/Avenue to Find a Decent Black Lab Puppy

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:24 am

lanyard wrote:What's the kennel? The one u used for my first lab might be retiring, may need a back up

Milliken Creek Labs down by Kenyon... hopefully no one has anything too bad to say about them

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:48 pm

Congrats. Post some pics as the pup progresses.

I think I am going to pull the trigger this spring. But I said that last year....and the year before...so we'll see. I have been using my old mans and buddies dog during the fall in the meantime. Somebody has to shoot some birds for those two pups.

I think I am going to use the breeder my bro used. I've been impressed with his dog both in the field and at home.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:00 pm

What breeder your bro go through?

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:18 pm

Nershi wrote:Congrats. Post some pics as the pup progresses.

I think I am going to pull the trigger this spring. But I said that last year....and the year before...so we'll see. I have been using my old mans and buddies dog during the fall in the meantime. Somebody has to shoot some birds for those two pups.

I think I am going to use the breeder my bro used. I've been impressed with his dog both in the field and at home.

Thanks! Kinda the same as me...I've been saying it ever since my last one died 10 years ago. Never 100% sure I wanted the expense/ball and chain/hassle when it comes to going places and what to do with the dog or having time to invest in training it. Guess I have no choice now haha

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:41 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Never 100% sure I wanted the expense/ball and chain/hassle when it comes to going places and what to do with the dog or having time to invest in training it. Guess I have no choice now haha

That is what is holding me back. Between my cool neighbors and my dad I think it'll work out good when the dog can't come with.

Lanyard my bro got his from Silver Creek Labs.

I've also considered buying one from The Captains Labradors.

Anybody have any feedback on these two? Looking for a British Lab.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:47 pm

Seen silver Creek while I was looking and considered them, obviously went a different route but liked what I saw

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:56 pm

Buddy of mine got his "British Lab" through KT Kennels at Elbow Lake or Barret.... somewhere over there. Great dog, but I don't know if I agree with their assessment of what a British Lab is. I need one that looks like an effing lab, not a skinny needle noser that is "smallish"......

My first dog, from Goldberry in Eagle Lake:

Brooke_Best.jpg

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:56 am

Good looking dog.

I hear you. I hunt with a few guys who have ‘british’ labs. They’re nothing more than small timid labs with skinny heads. Our last dog was a little tank with a big ole blocky head. I didn’t have the heart to tell them this is what a real British lab looks like.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:47 pm

Nershi wrote:Good looking dog.

I hear you. I hunt with a few guys who have ‘british’ labs. They’re nothing more than small timid labs with skinny heads. Our last dog was a little tank with a big ole blocky head. I didn’t have the heart to tell them this is what a real British lab looks like.

Hah! My buddies is even gun shy.... that would be a guarantee i'd want for a $1,500 hunting dog. Instead he has a great tennis ball chaser they kills yard squirrels.

Frame style should be the same. Brits should be a bit smaller, but in my mind/reading/experience it's a 55 lb tank vs a 70-75 lb.

My wife still doesn't believe me our dog averaged 72 lbs her adult life, she was that put together.

The other thing: work with your dogs when they are young on HOW TO HUNT. Everyone focuses on fetching/retrieving, and all the dog does is jump through the field and they can't find a down bird if they didn't see it. I don't complain, I don't have a dog right now, but it came to light last weekend after hearing how great this dog was before hunting, then observing it hunting. Run all day, but it only found birds it tripped over, dead or alive.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:57 am

Years ago actually the brits were narrower chested, longer nosed (like hunting Goldens are- not the blonde show dog Goldens) and longer legged.
The Americans over the years breed for the wide chest, shorter legs, and blocky face.
What i think has happened is you get the crossbreeding now days, not true brit Labs.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Return to “Gun Dogs”