Mergie Marauder

Re: Best Place/Avenue to Find a Decent Black Lab Puppy

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:33 am

Then make mine American.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:07 am

Somebody get Denny Anderson on the phone. He’s been bringing labs over the ocean since before it was cool. Get a tour of the kennel and ask which one’s came from the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:15 am

Wonder what mine is considered. Oh that's right mine is hayseed lab with a touch of fancy lab. Meaning my old dog was good ol boy breed by couple hunting buddies aka what labs were before people wanted fancy papers and weighed a trim 120 in his prime and stood on his back legs and looked you in the eye. I then bred him to a friends female that comes from somewhere that gets crazy money for just pups. Big headed, long legged, ice busting beast is what I got now.

sent from deez nutz lay'n on yo chin
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:31 am

I guess it doesn’t matter what they are called. I like a stout dog that is built like a brick chit house and has a blocky head. A dog that is chill around the house and in the boat but a machine when on birds. The close dog in this pic was our last dog before the current dog my dad owns. She was a true champ. I still think about that dog almost everyday and she has been gone a few years.

Lots of ‘american’ breeds are too high strung for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:06 am

^^^^ Yup

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:14 pm

I like the longer legged Retrievers and narrower chested. My 1st dog was a choc Lab and looked like this, he was a trim 100lbs in Nov., 110 in summer. tjhis was LONG before they became popular and every stupid person went - OH , I can make some $$$ and no respect for lineage, traits, etc,.. :evil: Anyway, IMHO the longer legged and narrower chests can go through the grasses and brush much easier than a shorter legged wide chested dog can. Besides - I just don't like the look of pigeon toed Labs - they weren't that way way back when, there is a direct consequence for that wide shoulder and resulting pigeon toes stance. :(
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:45 pm

Looks great!

Pup isn't too bad either, ;-)

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:53 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:I like the longer legged Retrievers and narrower chested. My 1st dog was a choc Lab and looked like this, he was a trim 100lbs in Nov., 110 in summer. tjhis was LONG before they became popular and every stupid person went - OH , I can make some $$$ and no respect for lineage, traits, etc,.. :evil: Anyway, IMHO the longer legged and narrower chests can go through the grasses and brush much easier than a shorter legged wide chested dog can. Besides - I just don't like the look of pigeon toed Labs - they weren't that way way back when, there is a direct consequence for that wide shoulder and resulting pigeon toes stance. :(

How wide you think they're making them these days?

Breed Standard can be a bit hokey, but your 110 lber would be 20% out of breed Standard.

The Gimp dogs can be great. The "breed" dogs can be bad. I have my preference, you have yours. That's what makes differentiation so great, we each get to be happy :-)

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:26 pm

Thanks haha. Forgot how funny puppies are. Going a million miles an hour chasing shadows, tail, toys, one min the zonking out the next.

He had a bit of separation anxiety on the ride home but seems to have gotten over it pretty quickly. Breeder was nice and brought out the parents for us to see what they were like.

GFs very happy, I know this isn't just a dog for her...it's very psychological. She now has more purpose in life, and has her first major combined commitment out of me

Return to “Gun Dogs”