maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fireworks

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:53 pm

I feel like this is something that pretty much just came on last summer but this year it's getting way worse...he's super scared of fireworks. I dunno what the deal is he acts like such a tough guy fireworks start going off he shakes and starts panting...will tuck his head in between pillows hiding like a lil kid.

As of January he had zero issues with gunshots.

Try giving him treats putting his attention on something else etc

Any advice for helping him deal or get over it?

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Re: Fireworks

Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:22 am

Man if gunshots didn't scare him but fireworks do I'm not sure what's going on.

I've always clapped my hands or clanked pots and pans together when I fed my pups for them to relate loud noises with something good. I've never had gunshy issues When introducing them to gunshots.

With my old man I got right now, if you don't pay attention to him when fireworks are going off and open a door he is out the door looking for the dead birds.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:56 pm

Ya I dunno he's not scared of much...always pretty aggressive in a defensive manner...will run and jump off/into anything no fear. But fireworks and beeping smoke alarms he's shaking like a queer in a weiner factory

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:43 am

Try giving him some Xanax. Look up how much dogs need. Dogs either need way more or way less dosage depending on the drug. Vet might be willing to prescribe it for the dog or you will need to find it on the black market. People abuse benzos so your vet may be hesitant.

My buddies have a bulldog that is deathly scared of getting his nails clipped. Xanax chills the dog out enough so they can clip em.

Might be worth looking in to CBD as well.

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Fireworks

Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:50 am

Nershi wrote:Try giving him some Xanax. Look up how much dogs need. Dogs either need way more or way less dosage depending on the drug. Vet might be willing to prescribe it for the dog or you will need to find it on the black market. People abuse benzos so your vet may be hesitant.

My buddies have a bulldog that is deathly scared of getting his nails clipped. Xanax chills the dog out enough so they can clip em.

Might be worth looking in to CBD as well.
And if needed you can crush some up and snort then...

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:02 pm

The vet actually did give us a sedative to give him before we bring him in cause he loves people so much it makes it hard for them to examine him...but it's like the random neighborhood fireworks that go off every so often that get him it's hard to dose that.

Hopefully it's not an issue but he was scared of a gunshot this weekend when I shot a red squirrel at the cabin. Hopefully when he's in the hunting mindset it's a non issue I dunno how this all could have started. He's always been completely fine. Worries me a little but we'll see

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:59 pm

Going to have to throw some bumbers and have someone shoot when you throw them.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fireworks

Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:49 am

My last dog was a hunting machine but scared of thunder… we rode out some pretty nasty storms while camping over the years.

I can’t remember if fireworks bothered her but I got her on the 4th of July and was a little nervous about fireworks that first year since the neighbor kids lit them off for the whole month.

Strongly encourage you to incorporate training that links positive associations to gunfire and do so very slowly and with mild shots to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:21 pm

Thanks...just really weird two seasons of hunting and he's had no issue before.

My dad found our old dummy launcher that uses .22 blanks from growing up. Maybe have to buy a dummy and get him super excited about that and slowly introduce a round to it to see if he's still scared. Still curious if when he's out hunting if he'll just be fine with it cause he associates it with birds...it'd really suck if all of a sudden he got gunshy. Last time he was hunting was January and he was ecstatic about hunting and gunshots. I dunno

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Fireworks

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:06 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Thanks...just really weird two seasons of hunting and he's had no issue before.

My dad found our old dummy launcher that uses .22 blanks from growing up. Maybe have to buy a dummy and get him super excited about that and slowly introduce a round to it to see if he's still scared. Still curious if when he's out hunting if he'll just be fine with it cause he associates it with birds...it'd really suck if all of a sudden he got gunshy. Last time he was hunting was January and he was ecstatic about hunting and gunshots. I dunno
There must of been something loud that happened and scared him to associate with it being bad. I've never heard of a hunting dog getting gunshy unless something bad happened. You might want to ask family and neighbors what happened.... something made him that way.

Return to “Gun Dogs”