maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: Beat Up Dogs

Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:46 am

Naw we distracted him enough with bones and stuff he didn't need. Seemed like he understood it was helping he'd come sit down nice and let you rub all over his eyes. Eyes are all better now just weening off the steroids. So hopefully can get out this weekend probably Sunday

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:35 pm

He busted them all up again this weekend...it's when we are in thick cattails that he's doing it. Didn't have the problem last year all I can think is after learning what he was supposed to do last year...he's pushing it much harder this year.

We have enough ointment leftover from last vet visit we should be good this round...feel like a tool for even asking but...

Anyone ever tried some of the dog protection goggles out there on the market? Im not sure I can see him actually wearing these things but I'm gonna need to do something vs a vet trip after every weekend hunting

I've heard others talk about potentially applying Vaseline around the eyes before hunting to help limit the cuts and scrapes... anyone tried this? Wasn't really sure if Vaseline and eyes is a good combination.

I dunno like I said, just looking for something besides running to the vet every time for a prescription. There's gotta be a better solution than that

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:34 pm

No to Vaseline as it's a petroleum based and I think that it'd hurt the eyes.

I'm somewhat surprised you haven't used a cone to promote healing.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:03 am

A couple days of the ointment and he completely leaves them alone so no cone required. Must stop the itch cause he absolutely loves when you apply it to his eyelids. Main thing is I'd like to avoid it altogether. Dont want to pay for a vet trip every hunting season to get a prescription...and if we go on an actual multiple day trip next year be nice to keep him protected if possible

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:20 pm

FWIW, I was having happy hour with my vet a couple weeks ago and she said it’s a non-issue.

Just take him hunting. He’s not really suffering or at great risk of anything.

She’s a pheasant hunter, she’s seen plenty of cattail rash

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:37 pm

I just hate to pay for a vet visit to get a prescription for the ointment. Are there any antibacterial ointments that aren't prescription or safe to use around their eyes? I searched a lil bit didn't find much. That's my only concern is I don't want to pay for a vet visit even if it's once and I get enough to last all season...like was the case this year. Still $120 to get a prescription basically. If there was another product I could get that that wasn't prescription I wouldn't worry about it... without that ointment it drove him crazy and he licked his paws and then wiped his eyes making it way worse....it would have never healed without that ointment he woulda kept wiping them

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:20 pm

Feel pretty gay doing it lol but ordered these today...not even sure if he'll wear it or they won't fog etc but I gotta try and do something about it, were all torn up again after yesterday. If he'd just leave it alone it'd heal but he constantly licks his paws and wipes. Keeps us up at night doing it. Unless the vet will just give us an open ointment prescription not sure what else to do...be nice to keep it from happening in the first place
Screenshot_20221121-174451.png

Return to “Gun Dogs”