browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

Could use a pep talk

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:25 pm

I have a 1 year old chocolate lab that I had a little insodent with last night that has left me feeling sick to my stomach today. When he was growing up, sometimes he would get a little fired up and like to try and roughhouse with me (mouthing, jumping up, nipping a little bit) in a playful manner. In order to correct that when not training, I used his collar to put him in the down position until he was calm. Worked really well and he had not done it for a long time now. Well last night I was doing some basic obedieance with him in our downstairs more as something fun/productive for him to use his mind for a little bit. Brush things up. At the end, I was trying to reward him with a little praise and I made the mistake of going down into a stance almost like a catcher. Well this triggered his bad habbit and he jumped up on me and started mouthing (he does not really bite just puts my arms in his mouth). I went to get up to defend myself while trying to get a hold of his collar to first put him in the sit position before giving him the down command. He decided to try and roll on his back while I did that and ended up pretty much flipping over my leg landing hard on his right side. He then cried like hell for about a minute and laid right down and when he got up would hardly put any weight on his front right leg. I have never seen him do anything like that before and I probably got more scared then he did. (my first dog attempt) I ended up carrying him into his crate in the truck and brought him in to the emergency vet. Everything checked out ok, she just told me to take it easy on him for a few days. The limp is getting less noticable by the hour. He is normally a very playful pup that works really hard to follow my commands. Call me a pansy but I do not believe in getting physical with my pup, could normally use basic obedieance to get him to behave. Call me paranoid but it I am feeling like I just knocked out my best friend. Any advice for some fun drills or activities to boost both of our attitudes. When we got home he pretty much just laid down next to me and relax the rest of the night, so I do not think he is too upset with me.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Re: Could use a pep talk

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:01 pm

I'm sure it probably scared him more than yourself, I remember when I got my first lab, she would always try and jump up at a young age, one time I put my knee right into her and she flipped over and limped pretty bad for a day or two, I felt terrible about it but it pretty much cured her from jumping from that day forward, just scared the heck out of her and myself, she will be 15 in april.................
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:39 am

The scared part is very true. It happened so fast we both were just stunned. He seems to have gotten over it already. Last night he laid on the couch with me to watch the hockey game. Learning experience for both of us. It helped to vent about it.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:42 am

Saw this on another site. Just follow the advice they had given. It was sound

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:24 pm

It's a tough thing to deal with, and I know the feeling; however, assuming the two of you have a solid bonded relationship it shouldn't have long term consequences. It was rough housing and playing, and sometimes those things happens. No different than a sibling getting stitches for fighting over the remote control, if that makes sense. I understand feeling bad, but don't try to relieve your conscience by dismissing responsibility to be the dogs teacher and command enforcer.

My lab and I used to have to have "big dog, little dog" chats about once every 6 months until she was 8 or so. It was the craziest thing. She was always well behaved, great around kids, etc. But once in awhile she'd cop this attitude, like kids do from time to time, like they're trying on a personality. Anyway, she'd get this damned look about her like "I'm not going to sit/heel/lay down, AND there ain't a thing you can do about it...."

We'd up wrestling with me pinning her, laying on top of her until I could feel the "fight" leave her, just that point where she knew her way wasn't going to happen. It was the craziest thing. She'd let out a sigh, like when the wife finally realizes your going hunting whether she likes it or not, and she'd be done. A total attitude check. Then we'd get up and I say the command, and she went about it like nothing happened.

That's a long way to get to this: the situation is likely going to repeat itself over time, the goal is to be cognizant and make certain the outcome is appropriate. You both will use this as a learning experience, but don't try to make up for it. It is not the type of relationship your dog is looking for... or at least it's the relationship your dog should be looking for. You need trust between you, and like kids, that trust is built due to limits you set and enforce, and the respect you give the dog.

browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:52 am

That is pretty much exactly how I deal with him when he cops an attitude. Make him be down normally if I can use my foot to hold his collar or if I can get a short lead on him quick and I can stand up and get over top with him the wrestling is over fast and he gives up right away. We have definitely both used that as a learning experience and have moved on. No trust was lost, if anything I think we both gained a little bit for each other. Thanks for the helpful responses guys.

Return to “Gun Dogs”