dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Re: Traded one hobby for another today.

Tue May 20, 2014 12:21 pm

I've been turkey/deer hunting with a shotgun since I was able to, guess I should have said that, looking for things that would be bow related specifically

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue May 20, 2014 12:43 pm

dwendt wrote:I've been turkey/deer hunting with a shotgun since I was able to, guess I should have said that, looking for things that would be bow related specifically

Number one thing then is learn your bow. Shoot shoot shoot.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue May 20, 2014 1:07 pm

dwendt wrote:I've been turkey/deer hunting with a shotgun since I was able to, guess I should have said that, looking for things that would be bow related specifically

I figured, just different with a bow because you get to watch the rut unfold in its entirety and you get to watch mostly unmolested deer...they act way differently. Its way more fun. I was just throwing it out there.

Since you bought it used I would assume, I would go to a good bow shop that has a range, etc so they can see if the pull is correct for you and your arrows are flying the way they should....always good to start with a bow that is set up perfectly for you...can eliminate some issues and increases your accuracy just making sure the bow fits you. Then just practice.

Once you are good at known distances...start shooting from random places and trying to accurately guess the yardage. Range finders are great but bow hunting you don't have a chance to use it most of the time...or don't want the extra movement while deer are close. I usually bring mine into the stand and memorize several different "landmarks" and what the yardage is to them.

I also practice shooting from elevated positions. Shooting from an elevated position is a little different than standing on the ground...especially at close shots. Seen lots of shots 10 yards and less fly over the backs of deer. My back deck at the office is perfect for doing this...can shoot out to 60 yards 15' off the ground.

bow-fishhunter
Mergie Marauder

Tue May 20, 2014 1:53 pm

Join an archery club and hang out with the old guys there! People who shoot bows are a different bread and typically will bend over backwards to help out. You will get good advice from people there because they have a lot of knowledge and willing to share it.
If a man speaks in the forest and there no woman is around to hear him... is he still wrong???

bow-fishhunter
Mergie Marauder

Tue May 20, 2014 1:55 pm

O yeah and be prepared to get addicted!!! I’d rather shoot a doe with bow than a good buck with a gun.
If a man speaks in the forest and there no woman is around to hear him... is he still wrong???

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue May 20, 2014 5:25 pm

Make sure your phone is fully charged before heading into the woods. There is nothing more boring than having to sit in a tree stand with nothing to do.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

bow-fishhunter
Mergie Marauder

Tue May 20, 2014 8:35 pm

Trigger wrote:Make sure your phone is fully charged before heading into the woods. There is nothing more boring than having to sit in a tree stand with nothing to do.

I disagree, sitting in the woods disconnected from the world watching God's creation do what He meant them to do is awesome.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue May 20, 2014 8:50 pm

bow-fishhunter wrote:
I disagree, sitting in the woods disconnected from the world watching God's creation do what He meant them to do is awesome.

Agree!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Tue May 20, 2014 9:04 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:
bow-fishhunter wrote:

Agree!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

I agree as well, although I do keep it charged. But is stays in my bag.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Sat May 24, 2014 9:59 pm

Bow fish I sent you a PM

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”