bigdog
Coot Commander

Re: Steve Cordts Should Be Fired

Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:03 pm

DNR site says no bonus teal this year:
"Minnesota and three other states in the Mississippi Flyway had the option of including two additional blue-winged teal in the daily bag limit (bonus blue-winged teal)."“We thought the risk that green-winged teal might be taken by mistake was too great,” said Paul Telander, DNR wildlife section chief. “In addition, we did not get a chance to survey waterfowl hunters or take any form of public input related to bonus teal. We plan to do that within the next year.”

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:05 pm

Unreal, but not surprising.

Minnesota started doing a few things to help out the hunter, different splits, zone, early start etc. And now this . . . .no teal season, no extra teal while all states around are taking advantage.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:39 pm

I agree. Seems they were headed in the right direction with the focus group a couple years ago and either persuaded public opinion or shaped the regulations for what I thought were legitimate wants from the group (3 woodies, split etc).

The group was half stakeholders and half hunters, opinions were all over the board but I think everyone left with warm fuzzy feelings.

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:43 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:
Bullet21XD wrote:Dude, WTF world do you live in???

Blue-wings are everywhere in the state for the first couple weeks of the season.

Reality. Factual statistics do not lie, unlike you.

The vast majority have migrated through MN by the time of our opener. Are there still teal around? Sure. But not like a month earlier.

Where does it say that there are thousands of bw around the state? 50 birds in different locations around the state would mean there are bw everywhere in the state.

It fouler really Steve cordts?
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:49 pm

tornadochaser wrote:Even with the "vast majority" gone by opener MN hunters are shooting 100,000 BWT. Second only to Louisiana in the miss. flyway. No other state in the flyway surpassed 51,000 BWT harvested in either of the last two years besides MN and LA. 100k teal aren't getting shot on opening weekend.

When we had the '65 teal season we shot 1/2 of the total BWTeal harvest that year, something like 318K were killed. And remember there were about 1/2 as many teal then as now. Just more credance that we have a LOT more teal in Mn a month before the reg opener.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:12 pm

Sweet, and we had 2.5x the hunters....

.... and we had half as many teal as we do now, which would mean we have twice the teal we had then....

.... which lends even more credence to the idea that the bonus blue wing was actually a SWEET compromise....

..... and last I checked, the GWT limit is 6, so I don't think some Chuckle Head BREAKING THE LAW is going to cause a population crash....

.... and, why is it a sin for MN to be the highest harvesting state?

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:18 pm

bigdog wrote:“We thought the risk that green-winged teal might be taken by mistake was too great,” said Paul Telander, DNR wildlife section chief. “

More evidentance that it is NOT Steve Cordts making the decisions, Does he have input, yes, but he has his higher ups that are the real decision makers.

Personally, I think that the GWTeal arguement that Telander made is ridiculous. As I recall their peak migration is Mid Oct. So what gives?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:53 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:
tornadochaser wrote:Even with the "vast majority" gone by opener MN hunters are shooting 100,000 BWT. Second only to Louisiana in the miss. flyway. No other state in the flyway surpassed 51,000 BWT harvested in either of the last two years besides MN and LA. 100k teal aren't getting shot on opening weekend.

When we had the '65 teal season we shot 1/2 of the total BWTeal harvest that year, something like 318K were killed. And remember there were about 1/2 as many teal then as now. Just more credance that we have a LOT more teal in Mn a month before the reg opener.

Fouler...what the hell does that have to do with anything???

There's more ducks in MN in April than there is any other time of year.

Both...mean jack shyte.

You're statement that there aren't enough Blue-wings around in our earlier part of duck season for hunters to capitalize on a bonus limit, just confirms how ignorant you really are about duck hunting.

Seriously, just shut up or go away!
Dominate The Skies.

NitroZ9 Duck Killin
No longer welcome here.

Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:12 pm

Pretty obvious a bunch of you have zero clue about duck hunting.

D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:37 pm

NitroZ9 Duck Killin wrote:Pretty obvious a bunch of you have zero clue about duck hunting.

Smartest new member ever, or have you been here before?
Buckthorn removal is easy with the buckthorn baggie :-)

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”