h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Which one of you was it?

Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:25 pm

The reason for collared geese VS just a leg band is for local tracking via a spotting scope with collars. That is what they were doing with the metro goose population to watch their movments to determine their main flight paths. As I recall they also did some gps tranmitters too. Leg banding only is for a different scientific reason.

Now that being said, specifically targetting banded geese is why the Govt waterfowl guys tell the volunteers to keep mum where they do banding. Zink is a prime example, as reportedly he was tipped off where in OH they had banded and he then heavily hunting those areas years ago. I have no idea if he still does that. I hope that he has stopped.

As for collars, my feeling is that anyone using a rifle (which is illegal) to shoot the geese when caught should be an automatic loss of equipment, vehicle, and loss of hunting privelages for 5 years. If the collared geese are shot with a shotgun(legal) during regular hunting, who cares.

I do not know what is happening the last few years, but 5+ years ago I regularly heard about hunters using high powered rifles to go after collars and banded Snow geese, especially in MO. Reports like 20 geese in the bed of the truck with 1/2 having collars or bands and no shotgun but a couple of rifles with scopes in the truck type of thing. Also they were tresspassing too. I am steadfast against them systematically flaunting the law by these poachers, thus why I take a harsh view of them. I view them like deer poachers shing at night in mid Oct.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:34 pm

Fish Felon wrote: I also wonder if they started just putting on collars, instead of a leg band along with every collar, if that would discourage some of them being shot. It's pretty hard to put a collar on a lanyard so you can look cool.

It would not matter. Ever hear of Ebay? Many of these guys were selling them for big bucks 5+ years ago. Selling unreported bands and collars can be very profitable back then. Now the prices are much lower.

We'd be far better to ban the sale of unreported collars and leg bands to lessen the financial incentive.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:05 am

Fowler, why are the guys shooting geese with rifles considered poachers in your mind? Is it just because using a rifle is illegal? I think we need a different name instead of poacher for guys who pursue game in a different manner than what is legal but aren't just killing for the sake of killing. Calling guys who kill geese with a rifle "poachers" makes it sound like they just kill them and let them lay when this was clearly not the case. We need guys killing snow geese anyway possible.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:31 am

So if a guy shines a deer in Mid Oct and takes the meat then he is not a poacher by your logic?

The rfile guys shooting geese are breaking the law intentionally. That what makes them a poacher in my mind.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:30 am

Nope. Because shining gives him an unfair advantage. Long distance snow goose killers should be considered hero's, not poachers.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:04 am

h2ofwlr wrote:Now that being said, specifically targetting banded geese is why the Govt waterfowl guys tell the volunteers to keep mum where they do banding.

How many people do you know that actually band geese and are real biologists doing work in the field. And not just people you read about but people you actually sit down and have a beer with? Probably none. I know the people who do banding in ak. They are more the. Happy to give out info I. Where they are banded and where they are being shot. For flight path stuff they have collars that record where they have been and when people shoot them they don't want to give up their collar so they usgs can down load the data. This only hurts the hunters since the usgs works for the public. Now they have collars that when the goose is in cell tower range it will download the GPS information wirelessly.

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
official sour toe member number 52,814

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:05 am

If you want to shoot a speck that was banded in ak go to Edmonton. There was also one shot in laq le parle or how ever you pronounce it

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
official sour toe member number 52,814

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:58 am

I don't drink beer, so none. :)

I have talked with guys that do band. They do not want people to know where they band so that the birds are not intenionally targetted. It's a lot different banding in the high artic where there are very few hunters if any are around VS down here in the states where there are 100+ times more waterfowlers per 400 sq miles than in Ak or Canada.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:02 pm

Trigger wrote:Nope. Because shining gives him an unfair advantage. .

And using a rifle that is illegal to use and shooting them at say 300yds VS the limit of a shotgun around 1/4 of that distance is not an unfair advantage?

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:18 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:
Trigger wrote:Nope. Because shining gives him an unfair advantage. .

And using a rifle that is illegal to use and shooting them at say 300yds VS the limit of a shotgun around 1/4 of that distance is not an unfair advantage?

No its not. I know I suck with a rifle, I wouldn't have a chance in hell to shoot a goose at 300. It takes skill. The DNR should redefine what poaching is. A couple of guys picking snows off with a rifle is not poaching.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”