kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Re: Which one of you was it?

Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:13 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:I don't drink beer, so none. :)

I have talked with guys that do band. They do not want people to know where they band so that the birds are not intenionally targetted. It's a lot different banding in the high artic where there are very few hunters if any are around VS down here in the states where there are 100+ times more waterfowlers per 400 sq miles than in Ak or Canada.

So if i call them up they will know who you are?

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
official sour toe member number 52,814

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:50 pm

Trigger wrote:
h2ofwlr wrote:
Trigger wrote:Nope. Because shining gives him an unfair advantage. .

And using a rifle that is illegal to use and shooting them at say 300yds VS the limit of a shotgun around 1/4 of that distance is not an unfair advantage?

No its not. I know I suck with a rifle, I wouldn't have a chance in hell to shoot a goose at 300. It takes skill. The DNR should redefine what poaching is. A couple of guys picking snows off with a rifle is not poaching.

Is your opinion based on their snow geese and who cares how their killed (which I agree with) or on how difficult a 300 yard shot is on a goose? If the geese were Canada's and specs would it be poaching to pick them off with a rifle? Interesting topic.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:18 pm

StuStiltman wrote:
Is your opinion based on their snow geese and who cares how their killed (which I agree with) or on how difficult a 300 yard shot is on a goose? If the geese were Canada's and specs would it be poaching to pick them off with a rifle? Interesting topic.

No its not just snows. I wouldnt call it poaching. If a guy shoots a deer at 300 yards, is he poaching? Why would a goose be different? I don't think people who are busted because of a technical rule that has more to do with human safety than anything else should be called poachers.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:20 pm

kwackkillncrew wrote:
h2ofwlr wrote:I don't drink beer, so none. :)

I have talked with guys that do band. They do not want people to know where they band so that the birds are not intenionally targetted. It's a lot different banding in the high artic where there are very few hunters if any are around VS down here in the states where there are 100+ times more waterfowlers per 400 sq miles than in Ak or Canada.

So if i call them up they will know who you are?

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff

I've banded ducks in Minnesota and was never told to keep our location a secret.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:43 pm

Trigger wrote:Fowler, why are the guys shooting geese with rifles considered poachers in your mind? Is it just because using a rifle is illegal? I think we need a different name instead of poacher for guys who pursue game in a different manner than what is legal but aren't just killing for the sake of killing. Calling guys who kill geese with a rifle "poachers" makes it sound like they just kill them and let them lay when this was clearly not the case. We need guys killing snow geese anyway possible.

Most poachers do not leave their game in the field. Poaching is illegally taking game. You are free to make up your own term for poaching but it has been used the same way for decades.

Shooting snow geese with a rifle is poaching and very dangerous for a lot of reasons.

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:44 pm

Trigger wrote:
StuStiltman wrote:

No its not just snows. I wouldnt call it poaching. If a guy shoots a deer at 300 yards, is he poaching? Why would a goose be different? I don't think people who are busted because of a technical rule that has more to do with human safety than anything else should be called poachers.

I agree 100%, only thing is until/if laws are changed taking game in an illegal way is by definition poaching, but that's just a matter of semantics. How come I can legally shoot a rooster pheasant with a 22 (at least last time I checked) but not a Honker? Obviously shooting at something on the water or in the air with a rifle is irresponsible, but shooting at something on the ground isn't. Farmers who get Canada geese cull permits shoot them with 22s all the time (I know, lots of them are my neighbors). Why should a hunter who only owns a 22 be denied the chance to safely and legally shoot a duck/goose on land? I can't think of a logical reason why not, better file this under my pipe dream file, heck, maybe the mn DNR will one day give me the chance to pay 50$ for a chance at a swan.

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:47 pm

Nershi wrote:
Trigger wrote:Fowler, why are the guys shooting geese with rifles considered poachers in your mind? Is it just because using a rifle is illegal? I think we need a different name instead of poacher for guys who pursue game in a different manner than what is legal but aren't just killing for the sake of killing. Calling guys who kill geese with a rifle "poachers" makes it sound like they just kill them and let them lay when this was clearly not the case. We need guys killing snow geese anyway possible.

Most poachers do not leave their game in the field. Poaching is illegally taking game. You are free to make up your own term for poaching but it has been used the same way for decades.

Shooting snow geese with a rifle is poaching and very dangerous for a lot of reasons.

How is shooting a goose on the ground with a rifle any different from shooting a deer or rooster on the ground? As long as shots arnt fired at flying birds there's no difference

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:51 pm

StuStiltman wrote:
How come I can legally shoot a rooster pheasant with a 22 (at least last time I checked) but not a Honker?

When is the last time you saw hunters laying in a field with Pheasant decoys around them?

StuStiltman wrote:
Farmers who get Canada geese cull permits shoot them with 22s all the time (I know, lots of them are my neighbors).

When is the last time you saw hunters trespass and lay in a farmers field out of season in a spread of goose decoys.

Although it is legal (or at least was) I don't know of anyone who shoots pheasants with 22's. If a lot of guys did it I am guessing they'd make it illegal because that too is very dangerous for multiple reasons.

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Nershi wrote:
StuStiltman wrote:
How come I can legally shoot a rooster pheasant with a 22 (at least last time I checked) but not a Honker?

When is the last time you saw hunters laying in a field with Pheasant decoys around them?

StuStiltman wrote:
Farmers who get Canada geese cull permits shoot them with 22s all the time (I know, lots of them are my neighbors).

When is the last time you saw hunters trespass and lay in a farmers field out of season in a spread of goose decoys.

Although it is legal (or at least was) I don't know of anyone who shoots pheasants with 22's. If a lot of guys did it I am guessing they'd make it illegal because that too is very dangerous for multiple reasons.

The answer to both of your questions is never. When was the last time you saw a bunch of decoys in a field, saw a truck parked on the edge of the field and thought those are real geese!
Should we ban deer decoys? Deer are shot with rifles, if a slob sees a deer decoy is he more or less likley to pull over on the side of the road and lob a bullet out towards it than a slob after geese?

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:11 pm

StuStiltman wrote:
Nershi wrote:
StuStiltman wrote:

StuStiltman wrote:

The answer to both of your questions is never. When was the last time you saw a bunch of decoys in a field, saw a truck parked on the edge of the field and thought those are real geese!
Should we ban deer decoys? Deer are shot with rifles, if a slob sees a deer decoy is he more or less likley to pull over on the side of the road and lob a bullet out towards it than a slob after geese?

I have personally talked with three groups who have had their goose decoys shot at while they were laying in them by a guy with a rifle who stopped on the road. They got lucky and are still around to tell the story. I've heard about it on a lot of forums too. If it were legal to take fowl with a rifle it would happen a lot more often. I know that I'd give up field hunting.

People don't hide around or in their deer decoy when they use them so that example is not comparable.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”