Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: How to increase ducks, increase hunting opportunities

Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:12 am

Things "the management" needs to communicate/understand better are:
1) diverse biomes are more impactful~ a field of Big Blue Stem means a whole lot less than a diverse grassland complex

2) it ain't coming back the way it was~ skip the kumbaya pole rub and stop trying to manage to "native" landscape. Use native species, but suck it up and deal with the fact "nature" needs manipulation to increase its production on available acres (just like farming).

3) not all water is created equal~ the dead deep hole that just became a WPA/WMA isn't going to do squat unless you dump 3x more into it to make it functional.... and at current growth rates a rookery for cormorants/pelicans/egrets/etc. is not functional.

4) if all we do is play the cards we're dealt~ might as well fold. $100+ million coming into LCMR and too much of that bad policy is going to protecting woods, trails, parks.... but yet, the DNR is concerned about the soon to be dead State Park users and they are having difficulty recruiting younger users.

Our natural areas are going to look like a freakin' under endowed museum where the dioramas are dusty, the stuffed bears have natty ass fur, and there's one old dude talking about when the place used to be busy.

Yes, April through October is our prime duck habitat. Yet the bluebill studies show the birds are arriving on nesting grounds below weight because the historical bodies suck. Put food in their way and they will find it. If the breeding duck population can figure out if they should nest in ND, MB, MN, etc. by current conditions and population density, they sure as hell can figure out what dead water is compared to rich water.

The DNR's 50 year, sit on a shelf, duck plan calls for "corridors". Advantages to corridors are decreased predation, increased upland nesting sites, etc. But by the time they realize they won't be able to take that much land out of county production the drafters will be dead, all the LCMR money will be repaving the Paul Bunyan Trail, and there will be an old dude talking about 2019, the last year there were ducks in MN (sniff).

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Any habitat work has to fit into the landscape. There has to be a plan. That takes insight. The plan has to be implemented. Work takes money. Work takes time. But more than anything it takes foresight and leadership to get the ball rolling from the planning stage, to the boots on the ground stage, with tools in hand. We seem to be great at creating groups and studying most areas in the natural resource world. But little grit to put a shovel in the ground and no back bone or callused hands to actually dig. Work smarter not harder was one of my skinny, scrawny almost, 100% Swedish grandma's motto's. She could work most males straight into the ground. Her hands were callused from work. The DNR's hands are not callused from work. But their butt's are sure wide from doing studies, that imo needs to change. Doesn't mean they don't go into things without direction, but after all these studies and 50 year duck plans, what is their goal and or direction? Get moving or get out of the way and let someone else in that can.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:51 pm

lanyard wrote:Our natural areas are going to look like a freakin' under endowed museum where the dioramas are dusty, the stuffed bears have natty ass fur, and there's one old dude talking about when the place used to be busy.

Fowler works at a nature area?

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:39 pm

get-n-birdy wrote:Any habitat work has to fit into the landscape. There has to be a plan. That takes insight. The plan has to be implemented. Work takes money. Work takes time. But more than anything it takes foresight and leadership to get the ball rolling from the planning stage, to the boots on the ground stage, with tools in hand. We seem to be great at creating groups and studying most areas in the natural resource world. But little grit to put a shovel in the ground and no back bone or callused hands to actually dig. Work smarter not harder was one of my skinny, scrawny almost, 100% Swedish grandma's motto's. She could work most males straight into the ground. Her hands were callused from work. The DNR's hands are not callused from work. But their butt's are sure wide from doing studies, that imo needs to change. Doesn't mean they don't go into things without direction, but after all these studies and 50 year duck plans, what is their goal and or direction? Get moving or get out of the way and let someone else in that can.

DU can do more than the DNR it seems. But yet DU cant get it done until the state gets their shyte in a pile, and round and round we go.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:03 am

The system is functionally set-up to increase speed through private groups like DU. The matching grant process allows them to create and submit a project plan, and if it meets parameters, away they go.

DU, unless they have changed direction, has been most focused on preserving the primary habitats in the PPH region of ND and MB. This includes the portion of the Prairie Coteau in ND. The idea being breeding is the most important aspect and that region can get the most bang for the buck due to land prices and ag practices.

I was looking for the funds raised to spent sheets for DU but can't find current info. Back a few years ago, MN typically ranked in the top 3, if not #1, for DU fundraising nationally. But ranked 14 in total spend. (anyone with more knowledge on this feel free to correct). The reason being: our state sucks for efficient conservation initiatives.

We're at point that anything we do, to have an impact, is going to require significant investment. Turning 1/3 of our state into a grassland/preserve isn't going to happen. Anything meaningful is going to have to "break the curve" a bit, and come with high risks of failure.... Failure: the most dreaded thing in life when you are spending other people's money.

At this point, if the MWA were to find itself with an opportunity to reinvent, the group could be an organization to take risks. Raise funds dedicated to a larger project that might lead new efforts. However, the local chapters model is not conducive to any such efforts.

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:38 am

They had a moist soil mgmt guide come out years ago that talked about adding several acres into the program I would like to know how the process is coming.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:13 pm

I forget all the details, but believe they implemented something to the north of Graceville. some sort of impounded refuge flooding ag land after harvest.

A program at Lac Qui Parle WMA alongside Marsh Lake was rejected by the LCMR since it was "experimental", as I recall. Which to me, is exactly what the bad policy funds should go for. If you're going to make a bad policy, don't use it to reinforce bad management. Use it for something that could change the game.

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:44 pm

Isn't flooded ag. Land proven to attract and hold waterfowl?

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Waterfowlist wrote:Isn't flooded ag. Land proven to attract and hold waterfowl?

Yes, Ag land.... but this would be flooded grass land as I understand it. Apparently the concept of controlling shallow, temporary wetlands was just too much coin and thought.... i think they were able to add another 17,000 acres of trees for the same price.... go with what is known, best way to make sure you don't do worse than yesterday.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:01 pm

lanyard wrote:I forget all the details, but believe they implemented something to the north of Graceville. some sort of impounded refuge flooding ag land after harvest.

A program at Lac Qui Parle WMA alongside Marsh Lake was rejected by the LCMR since it was "experimental", as I recall. Which to me, is exactly what the bad policy funds should go for. If you're going to make a bad policy, don't use it to reinforce bad management. Use it for something that could change the game.

Did they get rid of the one on the North Central side of Marsh that they had already established a few years ago? That was fun to sit and watch and only imagine what could be. And how much was wasted on that one unhuntable area.

Where is the one by Graceville?
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”