Mergie Marauder

Re: Number of pheasant hunters, and harvest, plunges

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:38 pm

Grouse are not smart.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:21 pm

They kind of take after those that hunt them....
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:58 pm

I am surprised a waterfowl hunter would enjoy driving around on an ATV and shooting grouse off a trail with a .22. I always assumed those guys were the lazy deer hunters.

I grouse hunt more for my dogs entertainment than for mine. They love those dumb birds. Look how happy this pup is.

I doubt the grouse hunter numbers are accurate. I spend a lot of time in grouse country and rarely see guys hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:25 pm

I always see a lot at our cabin near Longville...they are always pissed I come riding down a logging road on an ATV after duck hunting like I'm scaring all the grouse. Go take a walk on a dead end trail or in the woods you hun yucks

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:33 pm

HnkrCrash wrote:I'd have way more spent in grouse hunting than I do for waterfowl hunting.
ATV: $7000
.22: $200
.22 Ammo: $50
Beer: $500

Hahah this is quite accurate. I don't hunt (shoot) grouse for fun, I do it for dinner.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:42 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Kind of surprised to see there were more people that hunted grouse than ducks. Grouse hunting is boring.

IMO Grouse Hunting is the most overrated hunting there is. Walk your ass off and count flushes. WTF.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:00 pm

Big Doe Hunter wrote:
maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Kind of surprised to see there were more people that hunted grouse than ducks. Grouse hunting is boring.

IMO Grouse Hunting is the most overrated hunting there is. Walk your ass off and count flushes. WTF.

If you know what you are doing and are in a good area you walk your ass off for a few hours for a limit of the tasty critters. (or if you're lanyard you mow your lawn and shoot them out of your front yard)

But I still agree it is pretty boring, even when you are shooting a bunch of them. I can't imagine doing it on an ATV. What a waste of gas.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:05 pm

Nershi wrote:
Big Doe Hunter wrote:

If you know what you are doing and are in a good area you walk your ass off for a few hours for a limit of the tasty critters. (or if you're lanyard you mow your lawn and shoot them out of your front yard)

But I still agree it is pretty boring, even when you are shooting a bunch of them. I can't imagine doing it on an ATV. What a waste of gas.

I bet the last 50 grouse I have shot cost me around $5.00 in gas, and thats using non-oxy. My time is worth way more than the gas I use, I can't imagine spending it being bored.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:13 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:They kind of take after those that hunt them....

Fowler stirring the pot again.......
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:17 pm

Never shot a grouse. Brother in law has a place across the river from the mallard lodge that has a ton of trails and 4 wheelers but in I'm always west in the fall. might have to change that some weekend.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”