Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Re: How to increase ducks, increase hunting opportunities

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:11 pm

JFC if you build it they will come... Let's go MNDNR

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:05 pm

lanyard wrote:At what point will the DNR and MWA determine that there is only one membership/funding source for waterfowl conservation: duck hunters. And that increased opportunities will increase conservation $ and efforts faster than telling duck hunters they can't shoot ducks....

Just a thought as the summer begins to wane.

This is exactly what I kept thinking to myself when I found out the MWA was against the Teal Season. Anything that decreases hunting opportunity decreases participation. I've posted this on other sites, but I will not ever give another dime to the MWA because of their stance on the Teal Season.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:01 pm

Waterfowlist wrote:They had a moist soil mgmt guide come out years ago that talked about adding several acres into the program I would like to know how the process is coming.

They took a big chunk of WMA by lady slipper lake in yellow med county for this. Put up no trespassing signs, mowed it and it just sits there with nothing else being done to it. Now it's public land that the public isn't allowed to step foot on and is zero benefit to waterfowl.

your mom...
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:10 pm

gimpfinger wrote:
Waterfowlist wrote:They had a moist soil mgmt guide come out years ago that talked about adding several acres into the program I would like to know how the process is coming.

They took a big chunk of WMA by lady slipper lake in yellow med county for this. Put up no trespassing signs, mowed it and it just sits there with nothing else being done to it. Now it's public land that the public isn't allowed to step foot on and is zero benefit to waterfowl.

your mom...

Huh, Maybe its the bird watcher/scientific land(I forget the name of it). Open to the public but closed to hunting.

My grandma had some in the marsh lake area and then sold it to put her youngest 2 through college.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:15 pm

emptymag wrote:
gimpfinger wrote:

your mom...

Huh, Maybe its the bird watcher/scientific land(I forget the name of it). Open to the public but closed to hunting.

My grandma had some in the marsh lake area and then sold it to put her youngest 2 through college.

Nope completely closed to the public. Now just mowed grass that once held pheasant and nesting ducks.

your mom...
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:38 pm

emptymag wrote:
gimpfinger wrote:

your mom...

Scientific and Natural Areas?

They all have their own set of rules, hunting is allowed in some of them. The signs at the parking areas will tell you.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

prairie hunter
Coot Commander

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:39 pm

Moist soil management would work even in a water rich state such as MN. Ducks go where the food is and minnows are not food except for sawbills and other mergies.

They tried it out west along the big refuge and the ducks piled in. Worked well at "refuging" ducks to keep them safe until they got down to MO, AR and LA. :D

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:35 pm

Just ask the guys in MN who do moist soil drawn downs on private land. The results are great.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:27 am

Waterfowlist wrote:Just ask the guys in MN who do moist soil drawn downs on private land. The results are great.

Who does work on the moist soil management areas in MN, does anybody know?
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:36 pm

I don't know specifically. Was taking to Ray Norrgard, MNDNR biologist( think that's his name) and he was telling me about it in Minnesota and how he has advised people in the state about their projects. I took that as its happening in the state. Certainly not on a scale like in southern states though.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”