Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

MN to pay farmers for.....

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:03 am

Minnesota to pay farmers for leaving corn stalks to block snow

Associated Press

Wednesday, Oct. 15, 2014 - 12:01 a.m.

Corn harvest (AP Photo/St. Cloud Times, Jun-Kai Teoh) (Jun-Kai Teoh/AP)
Minnesota officials are offering to pay farmers who leave corn stalks standing along highways this winter to help keep snow from drifting.

The state Department of Transportation says stalks can break the wind's force and limit snow from blowing onto roads. Farmers can earn money on a per-acre basis if they leave six to 20 rows of corn stalks standing.

The department is especially looking for farmers with fields to the north and west of highways where snow drifting often causes problems. Farmers make a one-season commitment from October until mid-April.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: MN to pay farmers for.....

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:10 am

And?

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:29 am

Cheaper than putting snow fences up.......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:51 am

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:And?

Just another example of how a once great civic-minded people turned into the biggest Jews in modern history.

Back in the day a farmer would be like,

"You know, the snow drifts out there on that road awful bad. Me and my family use that road, my neighbors use that road...I'm going to leave a few rows left standing to make it safer for everyone."

Now they're like,

"Pay me motherf--ker...I only cleared $350K last year."

Hell, a lot of old time farmers would have gone a step further and put a shelter belt in there to help alleviate the problem. The modern farmer ripped that out long ago.

I think MNDOT should plant shelter belts in the ditches as close as they can to the property line. It makes a lot of sense. It'd be a long term solution, it'd probably be cheaper, it'd provide cover for wildlife, and what happens next year if that same farmer plants soy beans? Snow is going to drift in awful bad. But then the problem would be the farmers bitching...

"Goddamn MNDOT planting trees right next to my property! How the hell am I supposed to plant into the ditch now? I'm going to lose at least three rows due to those dirty bastards and when those trees get taller they're going to block some of the sunlight onto my crop and reduce my yield on an entire acre!"

The modern MN farmer: greedier and less civic-minded than a wall street banker.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:51 am

I see nothing wrong wit dis. Less money spent running equipment for snow removal. Plus it will leave move waste grain for wildlife.

your mom...
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:02 am

Mndot has been doing this program for years. Old news.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:52 am

Once again, paying farmers not to do anything. I'm surprised more farmers don't have zip codes in North Minneapolis with all the government hand outs they receive.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:59 am

I'm sure they're getting 3x what they would be getting to harvest it. :roll:

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:33 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:I'm sure they're getting 3x what they would be getting to harvest it. :roll:

At a minimum.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

NitroZ9 Duck Killin
No longer welcome here.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:37 pm

tornadochaser wrote:Mndot has been doing this program for years. Old news.

Been happening since before Al Gore invented the interwebs.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”