Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Boy River Snow Geese?

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:52 am

So I had a salesman from a Company we work with tell for last decade there has been thousands of snow geese that stay on the Boy River off of Leech Lake. He says they feed in the rice and roost in the middle of the lake and they are there now. By the thousands. Personally I think he is probably seeing seas gulls or something. He told me no one hunts them, just ducks up there. Anyone ever see this?
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

Bustin Lips
Coot Commander

Re: Boy River Snow Geese?

Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:29 pm

I shot a Juvie blue in Boy Bay about 6 years ago. Must be true. :shock:
Kids are like farts, the only ones you can stand are your own!

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:46 pm

I've shot snow geese in the rice in MN but I'd say it's not that common of an occurrence.

Thief Lake will stage 10-20,000 snows every so often but that's really the only fall spot I've heard of snows staging at in MN.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:20 pm

The guy telling you this is a moron.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:21 pm

Thanks for the input. I will unpack my truck. :cry:
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:00 pm

One of the project managers has a cabin in sucker bay...he sees a flock here and there while hunting but not thousands. Probably like my accountant that says he sees snows all the time by his house in st Michael...obviously seagulls or Canada geese. I stopped arguing with him about it he's convinced they are snows

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Big Doe Hunter wrote:Thanks for the input. I will unpack my truck. :cry:

Your loss.
Dominate The Skies.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:25 am

My brother shot one in the pelican island area. We use to hunt up there and I don't think there's enough to really target them specifically. Scooters, that's a different story.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:40 pm

I haven't been there in decades. Is the landing any better these days? I recall going quite a ways on a very muddy road to get in there. My Dad still talks fondly about hunting there.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:31 pm

Bill Gilbertson wrote:I haven't been there in decades. Is the landing any better these days? I recall going quite a ways on a very muddy road to get in there. My Dad still talks fondly about hunting there.

It's similar, the super pissed/scary looking truck full of Indians that drove by me three times as I was unloading the boat has kept me away from there since. Mediocre hunting was also part of that reason.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”