Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Unsuccessful hunter steals deer shot by someone else

Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:42 pm

LOCAL

Unsuccessful hunter steals deer shot by someone else, is quickly caught

By PAUL WALSH , STAR TRIBUNE
November 11, 2014 - 7:26 AM

Police caught the man, who is free pending charges, and returned the buck to its owner.

Frustrated by his own failures as a deer hunter this newly begun season, a 34-year-old central Minnesota man was caught after stealing a buck dangling from a tree at the home of a more successful marksman, authorities said Monday.

The theft occurred midday Sunday from a home in Millwood Township and was reported to the Stearns County Sheriff’s Office by a group of hunters that had several deer carcasses hanging in a tree, said Chief Deputy Bruce Bechtold.

It was while the hunters left the home for a short time that the thief cut down one of the deer and fled, the Sheriff’s Office continued.

The man, from Rice, “admitted that he had been hunting and wasn’t successful, so when he saw the deer hanging from the tree he decided to cut one down and take it,” the Sheriff’s Office statement read.

Authorities have not released the man’s identity. He remains free pending charges.

Bechtold said the state Department of Natural Resources put the value of the deer at roughly $500, “but we are going to take some time to figure out” what charges apply.

“Strange case,” the chief deputy said. “First one I have seen in 28 years.”

According to the Sheriff’s Office:

When the hunters returned and saw one of their deer missing, they called 911 and recalled seeing a silver car leave the area with a small buck tied to the top.

The hunter who shot the deer had tied a colored latex glove to one of the deer’s legs, and such a glove was visible atop the car with the deer.

Deputies caught up to the car in Upsala, about 10 miles north of Morrison Township in neighboring Morrison County, and the deer was returned to the hunter.

Paul Walsh • 612-673-4482
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: Unsuccessful hunter steals deer shot by someone else

Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:47 pm

For dumb. I've heard of them being stolen from lockers before though.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:29 pm

If it came down to it I'd rather steal a cow than a deer. That's desperation.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:07 pm

Lol

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:47 am

Stearns Cty..... it's like our own mini-Wisconsin.

Then there is Aitkin Cty.... it's like our own flatland Appalachia.

As has been discussed, we have a special breed here in MN. Seems a couple places are sumps for a certain group....

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:36 am

My biggest concern after shooting a deer is how to get rid of it. I can't give them away usually, I won't go hunting if I don't have someone lined up to take the stinky thing. Venison is so gross.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Stute Slap wrote:My biggest concern after shooting a deer is how to get rid of it. I can't give them away usually, I won't go hunting if I don't have someone lined up to take the stinky thing. Venison is so gross.

Bridges over rivers are a standard in North Dakota. One bridge in particular is known as the Missouri River Processing Plant.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Trigger wrote:
Stute Slap wrote:My biggest concern after shooting a deer is how to get rid of it. I can't give them away usually, I won't go hunting if I don't have someone lined up to take the stinky thing. Venison is so gross.

Bridges over rivers are a standard in North Dakota. One bridge in particular is known as the Missouri River Processing Plant.

I think that bridge is mainly for snow geese.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:06 pm

Trigger wrote:

That is funny stuff

lumbertick
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:47 pm

Just to be clear Lanyard...the thief was from Rice...which is in Benton County. Just standin' up for my Stearns County homeboys. 8-)

lt

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”