Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Who's all still killing ducks?

Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:33 am

It's all hens this weekend
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:15 am

We got under some massive flocks of Mallards in ND on Thursday and Friday. The groups that were decoying ranged from 20 birds up to about 500. The big flocks of birds were keeping small pot holes open for the roost. By Saturday there was only one spot the birds were still keeping open and the birds were hitting a field that the farmer wanted $100 a gun to hunt so we headed home early. Last year we were a few days earlier and had three awesome hunts at the tail of the migration. This year we only had two. Had the long term forecast predicted how cold it was going to get a little earlier we would have headed out last Saturday. Hunting the tail of the migration is big risk, big reward. Fun trip but cut short.

I hope to get in a few more Golden Eye shoots and maybe fish Muskies one more time before pulling out the ice fishing gear. Going scouting today.

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:16 am

Anyone field hunting mallards yet in Mn? post up some pictures....
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:16 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:^^^ Sure would be nice to see a photo of that. Not too often a hunter in Mn can say that he got into the Snows in the fall.

Two years ago shot 7 in one hunt in fall.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:04 pm

Lots of geese following the Zumbro south yesterday while in the deer stand. I will keep my eyes open locally for fields to hunt

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:24 pm

[quote="Nershi"]We got under some massive flocks of Mallards in ND on Thursday and Friday. The groups that were decoying ranged from 20 birds up to about 500. The big flocks of birds were keeping small pot holes open for the roost. By Saturday there was only one spot the birds were still keeping open and the birds were hitting a field that the farmer wanted $100 a gun to hunt so we headed home early. Last year we were a few days earlier and had three awesome hunts at the tail of the migration. This year we only had two. Had the long term forecast predicted how cold it was going to get a little earlier we would have headed out last Saturday. Hunting the tail of the migration is big risk, big reward. Fun trip but cut short.

I hope to get in a few more Golden Eye shoots and maybe fish Muskies one more time before pulling out the ice fishing gear. Going scouting today.[/quot

The guy wanted $100 per gun. Man north dakota sure has changed over the years. Where are you going to find open water for muskies? Mille lacs?

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:33 pm

I bet that farmer has no idea the second he accept money in exchange for hunting he accepts liability for your well being on his land.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:55 pm

Well it seems some hunters along the IA border are still getting into them. An acquaintance on FB posted up a 5 man limit by 1PM of all Green and Honkers hunting somewhere in SW MN.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:07 am

Bailey wrote:
The guy wanted $100 per gun. Man north dakota sure has changed over the years. Where are you going to find open water for muskies? Mille lacs?

Yea $100 a gun seemed a little ridiculous. Sadly the guy said people have been paying it. One farmer told me it's illegal to charge without some sort of contract or license but I'm not sure if he knew what he was talking about.

North Dakota has really changed over the last 15 years I've been going, especially the last few years. It's no freelancers paradise like the days of the past. If one of the guys in our group can't get in to canada I think we are going to try SD next year.

I hear Mille lacs is done for the year. I was gonna fish a small river but it looked pretty dicey. Muskies and ducks might be done for the year for me unless I can find some birds this week.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:26 am

h2ofwlr wrote:Well it seems some hunters along the IA border are still getting into them. An acquaintance on FB posted up a 5 man limit by 1PM of all Green and Honkers hunting somewhere in SW MN.

What's the guy's first name? Or at least first letter of his name?

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”