Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
mnborder
I came here for the barrel sticker

Re: WI Teal Season Summary

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:03 am

Yes they are. Nw Iowa has a very good number of mallards, pintail and wood ducks that nest. I pray teal season is gone. You guys will see, if you dont live in a area that ducks nest its great, if you do its the f-ing plague. Oh and to the teal season talk, shooting at sunrise made teal season wasted days if hunting. The majority of tbe teal fly in that 1st light window, waiting a half hour after that made it pointless. 3 teal a group was about average, and it destroyed duck hunting opener. 3 teal a day average worth it guys???? Dont do it

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:57 am

Why didn't previous years' early duck season hose up the regular Iowa opener?

The Wisconsin boys ain't cryin about a sour opener.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:10 pm

mnborder wrote:Be careful what you wish for. Iowas first teal season led to the worst duck season I have ever had. Blasting the teal for a few weeks was great, but when opener came around ever duck was decoy shy. We got 2 ducks on opener, last year we got a 3 man limit 2 days in a row before sunrise. Its a double edged sword.

Iowa has had an early duck opener where ALL species were legal for years. I wouldn't blame an early teal season for your one bad opener.

An I always laugh at the "decoy shy" complaint. They are not decoy shy, something else was wrong with what you were doing. Bad spot, bad spread, bad camo, bad calling, etc etc.

And btw, I hunted Iowas regular opener on a pretty popular public area, we were done by sunrise on both Saturday and Sunday on teal, mallards, woodducks, and pintails. I think you need a new spot.
Last edited by Trigger on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:13 pm

mnborder wrote:Yes they are. Nw Iowa has a very good number of mallards, pintail and wood ducks that nest. I pray teal season is gone. You guys will see, if you dont live in a area that ducks nest its great, if you do its the f-ing plague. Oh and to the teal season talk, shooting at sunrise made teal season wasted days if hunting. The majority of tbe teal fly in that 1st light window, waiting a half hour after that made it pointless. 3 teal a group was about average, and it destroyed duck hunting opener. 3 teal a day average worth it guys???? Dont do it

Did you complain about Iowas early duck openers in the past?

3 ducks a day? F yeah I'll take that, especially teal in te early season, warm weather, enjoyable conditions, more days to hunt ducks, most teal pluck nice an taste amazing, what more could you ask for?
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:17 pm

You know I was going to drop the something you were doing hurt you thing but I just let it slide. Thanks trigger for posting what I was thinking.

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:09 pm

I just can't stand when guys say we shouldn't have a teal season because two weeks after the close of it, ducks (that if they are teal are probably new birds, and non-teal species that weren't shot at on a consistent basis) will be "decoy shy". It's such a BS excuse, and an excuse used by guys that don't know what they are doing to begin with, I can't believe anyone even says it.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:01 pm

I think "decoy shy" is interchangeable with "localized". Figure after getting shot over spring plumed GHG mallards for a couple weeks, the birds figure it out.

for the non-teal, hunters aren't all that innovative, they set-up in the same spots because those are the spots that produce time and time again.... over time. If peoples be on a spot for some part of the last two weeks the ducks figure it out.

Saw it happen with redheads this year. They'd come in from somewhere day one and be uber stupid. Day two, flare. Why? 'cause this boy gets lazy after having a stellar hunt on Saturday, him thinks same thing happen Sunday. This boy was wrong wrong wrong more than once. But it was easy, so there's trade offs.

I don't doubt early teal doesn't affect the opener. But I, as a drinking person, thinks that early teal for a couple weeks sort of makes up for for seeing my opener day bag drop a bit.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:17 pm

lanyard wrote:But I, as a drinking person, thinks that early teal for a couple weeks sort of makes up for for seeing my opener day bag drop a bit.

5-16 days of shooting the ducks that I want to hunt on opener anyways. I'll take that. Early season mallards are gross.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:17 pm

Trigger wrote:
lanyard wrote:But I, as a drinking person, thinks that early teal for a couple weeks sort of makes up for for seeing my opener day bag drop a bit.

5-16 days of shooting the ducks that I want to hunt on opener anyways. I'll take that. Early season mallards are gross.

That's cuz they just learned to fly and the meat hasn't had a chance to "season" with corn and exercise :-)

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:20 pm

Saying ducks do not get decoy shy is a far more ignorant statement than claiming an early teal season could have a negative affect on the regular duck opener.
Dominate The Skies.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”