Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: WI Teal Season Summary

Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:01 pm

Except for teal, cuz there isn't any decoy shy tell, so there is no problem.

Sounds like a guy would never have to move or step up his game as long as there teal around

mnborder
I came here for the barrel sticker

Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:00 am

That got ugly fast.
To the teal season and all the comments, the sunrise legal shooting made it a challange most of the teal flew well before that.
To everyone mocking me have you ever had a teal season in your state? Giving you what I saw first hand. For regular duck opener I scouted 2 days prior. We still had lots of ducks, but the birds moved out of traditional spots in the marshes. I ended up blasting threw about 50 yards of standing cattails to get to a 10x10 hole I watched birds land in. It normally doesnt require this effort until mid October. Guys without mud motors suffered huge this year.
To me, getting on a few teal early when its hot and buggy is not worth messing with my early mallard pintail shoots.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:40 pm

mnborder wrote:That got ugly fast.
To the teal season and all the comments, the sunrise legal shooting made it a challange most of the teal flew well before that.
To everyone mocking me have you ever had a teal season in your state? Giving you what I saw first hand. For regular duck opener I scouted 2 days prior. We still had lots of ducks, but the birds moved out of traditional spots in the marshes. I ended up blasting threw about 50 yards of standing cattails to get to a 10x10 hole I watched birds land in. It normally doesnt require this effort until mid October. Guys without mud motors suffered huge this year.
To me, getting on a few teal early when its hot and buggy is not worth messing with my early mallard pintail shoots.

No, I have never been alive for a MN teal season. But I have hunted Iowas early duck for years and then followed it up by hunting the regular opener. So I know what your saying may very well be true for you, but I had the exact opposite experience. Hunted both Saturday and Sunday of regular opener this year, 75 yards from a popular access and shot limits both days before the sun was up, it was hands down the best opener I have had down there, and most of the guys in my area would agree.

Why wasn't the early duck season a problem? But now the all of sudden because it teal only you are having trouble?
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

mnborder
I came here for the barrel sticker

Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:02 am

My theory is,
Are normal early season is 5 days, with 2 or so weeks off before regular opener for ducks. This year, teal season ran for 3 straight weeks, and hunters hit it hard. When teal closed, goose opened along with youth hunting weekend. The next weekend was waterfowl opener. The ducks had a 5 day break. I think thats what made them so skittish.
I will be very interested to see how many none resident licenses Iowa sold I seen a lot of MN and SD plates.
I would like to see teal season be something like 10 days long the first week of Sept, so the birds can have a break.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:59 am

That is a lot of pressure. I didn't realize Iowa was allowed to have a three week long teal season. I thought the max was 16 days. So if teal season was only 5 days like early duck, you wouldn't have a complaint about it? It seems like the length of the season is the issue here, not the season itself.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”