Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Woodie Camp encourages embracing the outdoors

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:34 pm

Woodie Camp is the Minnesota Waterfowl Association's annual camp, held at the Prairie Wetlands Learning Center. The week-long camp emphasizes learning about and enjoying the outdoors.

By Rachel Woolf
August 17, 2015 — 10:07am

Woodie Camp is the Minnesota Waterfowl Association's annual camp, held at the Prairie Wetlands Learning Center. The week-long camp emphasizes learning about and enjoying the outdoors.

Video: http://video.startribune.com/woodie-cam ... 321956331/
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Re: Woodie Camp encourages embracing the outdoors

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:11 pm

I went to Woodie Camp 20 years ago! Still mainly the same guys running things according to the video. Anyone else on here a past camper?
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:46 pm

I went when it was held at Charlie's hunting club. I worked at the club and a kid got sick the night before camp started so I took his spot. It was mostly kids from bel plaine, edina, St. Cloud, etc. I could write an essay on my opinion of the higher up MWA guys that ran the camp, it's a wonder some of them could tell the difference between a mallard and a crow.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:56 pm

Hmmmm.... considering they take a week off from work and volunteer their time, it seems to me that someone is awfully ungrateful. I wonder what the 49 other kids opinion is?

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Woodie Camp encourages embracing the outdoors

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:50 am

h2ofwlr wrote:Hmmmm.... considering they take a week off from work and volunteer their time, it seems to me that someone is awfully ungrateful. I wonder what the 49 other kids opinion is?

Where did it state i was ungrateful? The councilors were good people; they were the ones who the campers really learn from. but some of the "indoctrination" was hilarious looking back on it. "Waxing ducks is the only way to clean them.". " if you aren't hunting from a boat you are lazy." I know people who have worked as councilors at the camp since then and I know much of the methodology in teaching has changed and that's great.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:21 am

As for waxing ducks, I get that. Likely it is how they were brought up and so what they continue to do and thus taught at that time. I know that is how I was brought up, but then we got a plucker. Often I now just breast them out which is sacrilege by some hunters view point.

I think what was trying to get at is that it is useful to teens and that they learned something and had a good time too. Thus overall a worthwhile program to attend. :)

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:33 am

When I attended it was at Charlie's too. The waxing was pretty hilarious. I pluck one or two ducks a year but that's it. Typically a early in the season blue wing.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:04 pm

Hopefully recently they demonstrate all 3 ways, and discuss the pro/cons of each.

The bottom line is that Woodie Camp is a something worthy of being supported by us waterfowl hunters.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:05 pm

No it isn't.
Dominate The Skies.

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:52 pm

Bullet, I've got a 100 dollar bill in my wallet. Is there a good outdoors oriented organization that you could reccomend that I donate it to? Or should I buy 5 flats of beer instead? (I'm gonna buy the beer anyways, but I could find another 100 if I had to).

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”