Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Cabela's potential sale to Bass Pro

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:02 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:
lanyard wrote:It makes me miss the old Gander Mountain stores when they were more of an outfitter and not a retailer. That strategic change came in the late 90's.

If I had to compare them to a competitor, I always feel like I'm shopping at Dick's. But can't say I've stepped into a Gander in 2, if not 3, years.

My absolute least favorite sporting goods store. The most unhelpful people I have ever dealt with. Numerous different gander's too.

I walk into every store knowing that I know more than the person trying to help me. It makes things easier.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:27 pm

Trigger wrote:
greatwhitehunter3! wrote:
lanyard wrote:It makes me miss the old Gander Mountain stores when they were more of an outfitter and not a retailer. That strategic change came in the late 90's.

If I had to compare them to a competitor, I always feel like I'm shopping at Dick's. But can't say I've stepped into a Gander in 2, if not 3, years.

My absolute least favorite sporting goods store. The most unhelpful people I have ever dealt with. Numerous different gander's too.

I walk into every store knowing that I know more than the person trying to help me. It makes things easier.

Haha that's one solution. Scheel's has gotten a lot of my business because of the idiots at gander mountain.

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:14 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Say it's not so... bigger it seems means poorer service and quality of goods. I've seen a marked deterioration in both at Cabela's in the last 15 years with their expansion. They went from a solid 10 to a 7 in that time. what is next a 6? groan....

Cabelas changed when they went from a privately held to a publicly traded company. Once you are publicly traded, the stock price is all that matters. The shareholder wins over the customer. If BPS is successful there will be less competition and that will mean higher prices. We are very fortunate to have lots of other choices in this state.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:59 am

Will I be able to find more under armour in silly colors?

HnkrCrash
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:18 am

^^^^^
Only if the shelf space isn't already occupied by Soccer Mom clothes or the standard bro suit black Northface coat with the logo on the shoulder.
"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people."
- Ron Swanson

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:35 pm

HnkrCrash wrote:^^^^^
Only if the shelf space isn't already occupied by Soccer Mom clothes or the standard bro suit black Northface coat with the logo on the shoulder.

That's the official dress code for parents at elementary school functions here in Chanhassen.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:24 pm

lanyard wrote:
HnkrCrash wrote:^^^^^

That's the official dress code for parents at elementary school functions here in Chanhassen.

I went to Dick's sporting goods tonight, saw a guy trying that exact jacket on and naturally I started to laugh to myself because of what you guys are saying. His (hot) daughter was wearing a Eden Prairie sweatshirt... of course.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”