duck_dude
Coot Commander

Shotgun Question

Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:03 pm

I know everyone is going to say go with a gun that fits you well, but what I'm looking for is any negative feedback regarding any of the new waterfowl shotguns. When I say waterfowl shotguns, I'm specifically talking about semi-automatic 12 gauges, 3-1/2" weapons.

Right now I'm shooting a Benelli Super Vinci. It's a nice gun, kills birds, feels nice, but there is one issue; the trigger guard tends to rack my middle finger when shooting heavier loads (1-1/2 oz or larger). The model SV I have is the one where the supposedly fixed this issue by modifying the trigger guard.

So what I want is any negative feedback regarding semi-autos you have. I know there are plenty of people that will say how awesome a gun is, and that's fine, but I just want to hear about issues.

I want to go back to gas operated so I'm looking that the following guns:

Beretta A400 Extreme
Browning Maxus
Remington VersaMax

I'm open to any other suggestions to check out. I'm planning on shooting these guns at the Ahlman's Shooters Roundup this summer.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Re: Shotgun Question

Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:52 pm

Don't shoot over rated 3.5" shells. Problem solved. Your welcome.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:56 pm

emptymag wrote:Don't shoot over rated 3.5" shells. Problem solved. Your welcome.

Yes and no. I will not spend $ on 3.5" til late season. Then it's all 3.5" for me.

duck_dude
Coot Commander

Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:02 pm

If you want I can start a post about shell selection, but I'm just interested in personal experiences with these guns.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:03 pm

duck_dude wrote:If you want I can start a post about shell selection, but I'm just interested in personal experiences with these guns.

You'll realize a lot of threads will answer many questions. But sorry for hijacking. I have no experience with any of those guns. Don't buy an SX3 though.

duck_dude
Coot Commander

Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:05 pm

It's all good. I've debated the usefulness of 3.5" shells. It's just if I'm going to get a new shotgun, I'd like the option.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:07 pm

duck_dude wrote:It's all good. I've debated the usefulness of 3.5" shells. It's just if I'm going to get a new shotgun, I'd like the option.

My thoughts exactly.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:22 pm

Get a 870. Sorry someone had to do it.

Sent from the bush outside your bedroom window.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:56 pm

I bought a gun with 3.5 capabilities thinking I'd want the option. I shot one box of 3.5 waterfowl loads when I bought it. Since then the only 3.5 shell that went through my gun was for a turkey. Too loud, too much kick, too much money, and not neccesary.

Sorry no info on the guns you listed. The only thing I know about gas guns are they are too muzzle heavy for me. Maybe the extra weight from a gas gun will keep it from jumping on you and whacking your finger. I know lot's of guys with Beretta's who are happy.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:08 pm

I have a SBE II and a M2 and I know what you mean about the finger getting beat up. I've put tape around it before.
I've shot a Maxus at sporting clays and it was a soft shooter. Only thing I dont like is that its just a sx3/gold and I will never own one of those again.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”