Mergie Marauder

Re: MN Vikings

Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:11 pm

Hahahahahahaha vikings football!

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:42 pm

And Lanyard is buying lunch for the get together next fall!

The ending simply blowed...
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:41 am

Played a great game, defense was very good, just a tough way to lose..........................next year again I guess............
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:00 am

I'll buy lunch if Bud Grant actually retires next fall, and doesn't complain about no ducks.....

Seriously, I think Bud is the ONLY person that has been involved with Franchise since 1967. He won 4 Grey Cups coaching the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, but the "B" League success transferred only to a very winning record, and not to Championships. We have the same Super Bowl wins as Detroit Lions, who have never been. The Tampa Bay Bucanners have a Super Bowl.

Oddly, though, we seem to have A LOT of coaches that come through the franchise that go on to wear Super Bowl rings. MN is the League's coaching farm system.

And all through this, we've not been able to develop a Quarterback. Fran Tarkenton just had it. Not since him have we had a QB able to close a game, and even then, he couldn't close a Super Bowl. My favorite Super Bowl/Grant story was John Madden, "I was up for 24 hours before the game, and he went GOOSE HUNTING!" Final: 32-14 Oakland.

Apple far from the Tree?: In Sunday's STrib there was an article about Mike Grant and how he thought Pete Carrol might offer him a job at USC.... and it didn't happen. Since then, he's won 10 MN State High School titles for Eden Prairie over the last 20 years..... wonder if they look at the Old Man's history and say, "Great football mind, maybe: winning coach~ meh." So Mike Grant, with all his connections and experience, is forever the EP High coach. Like his college coach, John Guillardi at St. John's: for some reason, I'm winning here and that's just good enough.

It is so damn classic Minnesota.

With the young QB, that can't quite get it together, the next move on offense, fingers crossed they work on the O-line first, will be to bring in the Cagey Veteran. Jim McMahon, Warren Moon, Brett Favre..... up next, Peyton Manning. It's what we do. And we still won't win championships because the franchise, no matter the ownership, the stadium, the players, the coaches, the staff, no matter any of all the things that have changed, transitioned and developed.... not of that will have any effect until Bud is gone.

MN Vikings Football is so bad we are bragging about how cold it was and that Ol' Bud walked out for the coin toss in a polo shirt.... and it's still only the Third Coldest NFL game. We can't even win that one. JFC.

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:31 pm

Need a running backs coach to re-buid AP's style as he gets older. Teddy needs to spend the off season working with the best QB coaches money can buy. Need a legit #1 receiver instead of 5 #2/#3 guys. Defensive core is young and as long as that group stays under contract they should be great for the next few years. Really wish the defensive secondary guys would learn how to wrap up and finish tackles, but that is a league wide problem, not just the Vikings.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:05 pm

I wonder if TB can alter his throw from that side slinging throw he does that gets balls batted down. Alter in the sense of what golfer will do sometimes, over haul it. In TB's case extend his arm straight up (more vertical) for another few inches of height on the ball.

I heard Trump say the NFL gone "soft" because of so many rules to protect the players. To an extent I have to agree. My gripe was when Griffen had his arms around Wilson's waist 20 yds for a loss and Wilson threw the ball to the ground for what should have been intentional grounding a few years ago. That new rule if out of the pocket it is not intentional grounding - is indeed the wussification of the NFL. Now granted head to head, face masks, etc should be flagged. But I think the NFL went too far and the no flag for intention grounding is pure BS! That was a big factor in costing us the game. Yes there were other factors like AP getting the ball stripped and the shanked FG, but they all added up to = a heartbreaking loss. Remove any one of those 3 and we would have been headed to AZ.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:50 pm

If greenway retires the defense is going to take a hit. He's a veteran and stand up guy, even if he isn't the best linebacker in the league he's a leader on the defense. I know a lot of people are optimistic for the future, but if greenway leaves I really think the defense is going in the toilet, and our offense cannot score touchdowns to make up the difference.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:35 pm

Blairs Walsh=Great past 50, terrible at extra points and chip shots.
tornadochaser wrote:Teddy needs to spend the off season working with the best QB coaches money can buy. Need a legit #1 receiver instead of 5 #2/#3 guys.

Need to draft a QB, and get Teddy working with the best QB coaches money can buy.

The Vikings are terrible at drafting a guy and putting all their eggs in one basket. Three years later they use their first pick on another guy and start again. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

Until you have a guy you know is going to be a top ten guy long term, keep drafting QB's. What's the worst that can happen? You get stuck with two young franchise QB's and have to trade one for a king's ransom of picks???

Personally, I'd like to see the Vikes go the traditional way of....well, the Vikings and get an older franchise QB open to parting ways with their franchise that's got a couple good years left on the tires. Rivers or Brees could be had and you put them on this team and it's easily a contender.

Bridgewater isn't the guy. If he steadily improves he could someday crack the top 20. That's his ceiling. He's played two full seasons, if there was more there we'd have seen more than just glimpses thus far. Ponder had a great 4 or 5 game stretch to end 2012 including outslinging Aaron Rodgers in the dome to get the Vikes in as a wild card.

I think we have a solid receiving corps, they're just getting the ball thrown to them by a subpar QB. Wallace would have had close to double digits in TD passes with a decent guy under center throwing to him. They ran him on that deep sideline route once a game and he'd make separation every time but Teddy-B over threw him each time. Diggs is going to progress into a pro-bowler, solid TE's, we're not bad.

They kept saying the same thing about T-Jack, "He needs a #1 go-to guy." Then Favre came in and those same guys looked amazing.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:36 am

Okay Teddy is way better than T-Jack ever was tho.

WALKER
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:56 am

9manfan wrote:Played a great game, defense was very good, just a tough way to lose..........................next year again I guess............

9man summed it up well. Very tough loss but any long time Viking fan is used to this result in the playoffs.

I feel sorry for the Walsh kid as I'm sure he makes that kick 99 out of 100 times.

Well in the true spirit of long suffering Vikings fans: There is always next year :lol:

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”