THe CRiPPLeR
This Hen's For You

Re: Shotgun Question

Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:07 pm

If they fixed the trigger guard issue can you retrofit with the new style guard?
AKA HenSlayer
If its brown its down, if it flies it..., well I cripple it

Secure huntings future, introduce someone new to the outdoors.

duck_dude
Coot Commander

Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:47 pm

I have the SV that has the "Improved" trigger guard. I still have an issue with it.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:30 pm

Before I get into my personal preferences, at Ahlman's Shooter's Roundup you will only be shooting only soft recoil target loads. That may not help you solve your problem. You might be better off finding some friends with your gun considerations and asking them to let you try them out with the magnum hunting loads.

Personally, I still have great satisfaction with my SBE-II (2005 model). The newer version has some slight modifications (i.e.; larger bolt handle, longer forcing cones, different chokes, etc). My gun has worked well no matter if I am shooting target or hunting loads. 3 1/2 inch shells have worked fine in it. They only time my gun has failed me, is when I have failed it. For instance, if I don't clean and dry it after a day of freezing rain or water splash, the recoil spring tends to freeze up on me.

If I were to purchase another new auto for 3 1/2 inch shooting, the Remington Versamax would be my choice. Not because it is a gas operated system, but because it feels right and I am impressed with the operating system. At Ahlman's last fall, I shot one several times that had been used in several shows and had not been cleaned. The Remington representative told me that this gun had over 2,500 rounds through it and never failed.

Good luck with your search. Post up what you finally decide on.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

dfrauenkron
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:01 pm

I picked up a A400 last winter after season. After one season I am not sure I made the right decision. I have had two major issues one user error one not. First one is the rotating bolt which is my fault. I would manually try to eject a shell and swap a load. When I would manually close the bolt, it would not rotate back to proper position. Therefor causing a click when I pulled. My fault, started using the mag cutoff switch which uses the spring to close the chamber and it rotates properly every time. Only cost me a few ducks before I pinpointed this issue. The second issue I had was jamming on the second shell. This one confused me all season. I cleaned the gun every hunt trying to figure out what was going on. Some days didn't seam to have issues. Others I about wanted to cry. I switched over to strictly 3.5" last couple weeks and it would jam every time. Did some internet research and found a guy had same problem and beretta said they had a bad batch of carriers out there and they would send a new carrier out or ship them the gun for replacement. Pulled mine out and sure thing, had a nasty burr on the carrier, which would catch the brass on the shell and jam up. I touched it with the file and ran 1/2 box of 3.5" thru it Sunday in the bitter cold and not a single issue. Made me feel pretty good when the guy a pit down was asking for tools to pull his SBE2 apart as it was jammed up.
The tough part about this is my buddy bought a Versa the same day I bought mine. He has been with me on most all my hunts and seen me struggle with my gun. Trust me he won't let me forget either. He hasn't cleaned his gun yet, prolly case of trap and a case of steel, and not a hiccup.
So all in all, I think I have the A400 dialed in and figured out.....at least I certainly hope so, as my buddy hasn't let me forget what I paid and what he paid. And he certainly won't let me forget about all the ducks he got to shoot as I was cussing my single shot. Truth be told his Versamax has impressed me. Yep I said it. If the A400 fails me again it will be down the road for a.................not sure to be honest but a Versa would be seriously considered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

duck_dude
Coot Commander

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:29 pm

Awesome post dfrauenkron. This is definitely the type of info I'm looking for. I have a buddy that bought a VersaMax when they first were released and he ended up having to send it back TWICE. That didn't necessarily scare me away because I think I've horror stories about every major brand. I really like the feel of the new A5, but it is an inertia system which I kind of want to stay away from. But if anyone has used one for a season I'd like to hear your input as well.

tyler
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:20 am

If it were me and I really liked the gun I'd just take a grinder to the trigger gaurd.

duck_dude
Coot Commander

Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:27 pm

I wish it were that easy.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:45 am

Only problems with my Versa Max is I lost the operating handle twice now...and the camo is not that hardy. It has rubbed off and chipped. Other than that it has been a great gun. I bought it in Spring of 2011 I believe.

Like dfrauenkron's experience, about the same time I bought the Versa Max, buddies bought SX3, Browning Maxus, etc. They have all had issues, I have never cleaned mine and just keeps on going.

tyler
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:22 am

duck_dude wrote:I wish it were that easy.

Ha that wouldn't work, my bad.

duck_dude
Coot Commander

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Well I switched it up a little bit. Sold the Super Vinci on Shotgunworld and picked up a Cynergy Waterfowl in MOSGB with a 30" barrel. I figure if I want to shoot an auto with three rounds at ducks I can throw some 2 shot in the Gold 10. Pretty happy with the purchase as I own a Cynergy Sporting Clays in Composite and can shoot around three birds better in skeet compared to my SV.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”