D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Re: What Do You Do For Inside Winter Projects?

Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:10 am

Finishing up a POS flip house.
Buckthorn removal is easy with the buckthorn baggie :-)

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:38 am

DakotaDog72 wrote:I have a "honey do" list about a mile long that's been building up since sept.

Start with your garage! :D

Not much between kids sport, work and everything else not much time left. This spring I'll have a bunch of landscaping projects to do.

lumbertick
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:11 am

THe CRiPPLeR wrote:
tola18 wrote:I plan on trimming a lot of buckthorn this winter if the snow doesn't get too deep. Any of you guys wanna help?

If you have any large trunks save them. They make an awesome looking wood for small projects and turning.

Have you done any work with Buckthorn yourself? Just wondering how it works as it doesn't seem to be real dense. Does it spinter easily? Does it dry down ok without cracking or is that part tricky? I've been meaning to get some for my Dad who makes canes and carves a lot...any advice for him? I may even have him make me a Buckthorn goose wacker! ;)

I've cut plenty of this stuff and agree that the graining and color of this wood is pretty sweet.

I would click on your links...but I have a strict never click a link policy...sorry.

lt

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:24 am

I cut a bunch of bucktorn at my old house. When I cut it down it seemed to come back thicker and bushier with more suckers. It does help in the short term but you just have to stay on top of it. I think there is a product you can buy to spray on the top but it's only effective in the spring/summer/fall. There is some in my back yard at my new house but the prior owners did a good job of keep down for the most part. It's funny how much I have af young maples, oaks, hickory and basswood because of it.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:29 am

I have a bunch of buckthorn about 50 yards from my food plot I've considered thinning down too but like mentioned that crap sucks and grows like crazy. 5 years ago there was probably 20% of what there is now. I have noticed the deer and turkeys are always walking through it though.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:05 am

Hansen wrote:I cut a bunch of bucktorn at my old house. When I cut it down it seemed to come back thicker and bushier with more suckers. It does help in the short term but you just have to stay on top of it. I think there is a product you can buy to spray on the top but it's only effective in the spring/summer/fall. There is some in my back yard at my new house but the prior owners did a good job of keep down for the most part. It's funny how much I have af young maples, oaks, hickory and basswood because of it.

You are correct, cutting it does minimal good if you do not kill the roots. Use Roundup and mix it at a 1 RU to 4 parts water and add red vegitable die (so you know which ones have been dabbed). Use a 1 gal sprayer and tie a sock to the end of the sprayer, dab the fresh cut stumps. This is best if done in the fall as it'll pull in the RU into the stump and kill the roots. if you don't, as you noted they just send up a ton of new shoots and it gets brushier.

I'll be working on insulating the garage and rebuilding a lumber rack this winter.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:18 am

I am doing so many cool and important things I don't even know where to start.

I will however be sure to post it on my Facebook page in hopes of making everyone jealous.

THe CRiPPLeR
This Hen's For You

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:13 am

lumbertick wrote:
THe CRiPPLeR wrote:
tola18 wrote:I plan on trimming a lot of buckthorn this winter if the snow doesn't get too deep. Any of you guys wanna help?

If you have any large trunks save them. They make an awesome looking wood for small projects and turning.

Have you done any work with Buckthorn yourself? Just wondering how it works as it doesn't seem to be real dense. Does it spinter easily? Does it dry down ok without cracking or is that part tricky? I've been meaning to get some for my Dad who makes canes and carves a lot...any advice for him? I may even have him make me a Buckthorn goose wacker! ;)

I've cut plenty of this stuff and agree that the graining and color of this wood is pretty sweet.

I would click on your links...but I have a strict never click a link policy...sorry.

lt

Understandable. Every question yu asked is answered in those links.
I have used it. Works well. Carvable and turns well. Checks a lot at the ends so cut it long and seal th ends. I have never cut it into lumber then dried it. Assume that would create a lot of cracks.
AKA HenSlayer
If its brown its down, if it flies it..., well I cripple it

Secure huntings future, introduce someone new to the outdoors.

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:16 pm

Buckthorn seems to be a HUGE problem........hopefully someone will invent an easy way to control it.

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Doa Honker wrote:^^^^Were do you shoot skeet? We may have crossed paths one time or another

Zumbrota.
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”