D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Re: Do you have a diving dog?

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:27 am

Well when I smell something I'm breathing in not holding my breath, now I'm not an expert in animals or dogs but I imagine they smell the same way but at a much better level than us obviously. So the only way I see it could be is maybe the rock was extremely potent and the dog was able to mark where it went in get in the area where it landed and then could smell it from above water and was able to pick it out by bringing a rock up one by one and seeing how it smelled..

W[/quote]

So how do you know that dogs cannot smell underwater? Know being the key word.
Buckthorn removal is easy with the buckthorn baggie :-)

THe CRiPPLeR
This Hen's For You

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:37 am

No
AKA HenSlayer
If its brown its down, if it flies it..., well I cripple it

Secure huntings future, introduce someone new to the outdoors.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:49 am

D.T. Hammer wrote:Well when I smell something I'm breathing in not holding my breath, now I'm not an expert in animals or dogs but I imagine they smell the same way but at a much better level than us obviously. So the only way I see it could be is maybe the rock was extremely potent and the dog was able to mark where it went in get in the area where it landed and then could smell it from above water and was able to pick it out by bringing a rock up one by one and seeing how it smelled..

W

So how do you know that dogs cannot smell underwater? Know being the key word.[/quote]

Because they don't have the ability to breath under water. Simple as that. It's called logic.

W

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:50 am

D.T. Hammer wrote:Well when I smell something I'm breathing in not holding my breath, now I'm not an expert in animals or dogs but I imagine they smell the same way but at a much better level than us obviously. So the only way I see it could be is maybe the rock was extremely potent and the dog was able to mark where it went in get in the area where it landed and then could smell it from above water and was able to pick it out by bringing a rock up one by one and seeing how it smelled..

W

So how do you know that dogs cannot smell underwater? Know being the key word.[/quote]

And how do you KNOW they can? Know being the keyword.

W

D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:14 pm

dwendt wrote:

W

So how do you know that dogs cannot smell underwater? Know being the key word.

And how do you KNOW they can? Know being the keyword.

W[/quote]

How do you know a dog needs to breath to smell, maybe they can take in small amount of scent from the water next to their nose. Maybe or are you 100% sure they can not?

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:29 pm

I think it's entirely possible they can detect scent under water, but can't turn up anything conclusive. Dogs don't process smell like we do, have a look at it here:

That to me would allow them to sense a difference in the water without having to breathe, though not nearly as potent as their detection above water I'm sure it still helps.

Look up Cadaver dogs, it's pretty neat what they are capable of (even though their primary technique is detecting odor as it aerates to the surface)

D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:31 pm

Thanks to ILW I learned something today!!

"One other thing that makes a dogs sense of smell so incredible, is that they can actually smell under water! Thanks to the vomeronasal organ, or more commonly refered to as the Jacobs organ. It runs along the bottom of the nose, just behind the teeth, and is directly connected to the olfactory lobe via 608 nerve bundles. In the skull, there are two small holes in the roof of the mouth, in a live dog they are not visible, that they can somehow pull a scent through with out inhaling. They use this organ to draw in smells while diving in water to smell what they are looking for."

Thanks again I hardly believed what I was watching when it happened.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:01 pm

shnelson wrote:I think it's entirely possible they can detect scent under water, but can't turn up anything conclusive. Dogs don't process smell like we do, have a look at it here:

That to me would allow them to sense a difference in the water without having to breathe, though not nearly as potent as their detection above water I'm sure it still helps.

Look up Cadaver dogs, it's pretty neat what they are capable of (even though their primary technique is detecting odor as it aerates to the surface)

I had considered the possibility that maybe a dog could touch something on their nose underwater and be able to determine if it's something they want or are looking for but I don't know the anatomy of a dog.

Yes I know what cadaver dogs can do but their detection still remains above water, it's nothing short of amazing but it's still above water. That's why I suggested the rock maybe have needed to be very potent.

Hammer: Until you can prove dogs can "smell underwater" and win some award for doing some (award not required) to me it will still be believed that dogs can't.

If you're going to make some large statement that goes against logic you need to have thee evidence to back it up. I am not the one who needs to disprove you as I'm in the majority of people who will assume dogs can't smell underwater (assuming that's what most people would think)

If I were to say I don't think fish can breath underwater and you say they can. I'm the one who needs the evidence not you.

When you have evidence let me know.

W

D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:10 pm

dwendt wrote:
When you have evidence let me know.

W

Here it is: http://doggytimes.wordpress.com/2006/02 ... ogs-smell/

Thanks to the vomeronasal organ, or more commonly refered to as the Jacobs organ. It runs along the bottom of the nose, just behind the teeth, and is directly connected to the olfactory lobe via 608 nerve bundles. In the skull, there are two small holes in the roof of the mouth, in a live dog they are not visible, that they can somehow pull a scent through with out inhaling. They use this organ to draw in smells while diving in water to smell what they are looking for.

THe CRiPPLeR
This Hen's For You

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:18 pm

D.T. Hammer wrote:Thanks to ILW I learned something today!!

"One other thing that makes a dogs sense of smell so incredible, is that they can actually smell under water! Thanks to the vomeronasal organ, or more commonly refered to as the Jacobs organ. It runs along the bottom of the nose, just behind the teeth, and is directly connected to the olfactory lobe via 608 nerve bundles. In the skull, there are two small holes in the roof of the mouth, in a live dog they are not visible, that they can somehow pull a scent through with out inhaling. They use this organ to draw in smells while diving in water to smell what they are looking for."

Thanks again I hardly believed what I was watching when it happened.

Here. You can even read the whole articular it was plagiarized from.

http://doggytimes.wordpress.com/2006/02 ... ogs-smell/

https://www.google.com/search?q=One+oth ... 3&ie=UTF-8
AKA HenSlayer
If its brown its down, if it flies it..., well I cripple it

Secure huntings future, introduce someone new to the outdoors.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”