h2ofwlr
The One And Only

New DNR Commisioner

Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:43 pm

Well at least she's a hunter it seems.

MWA would like to thank DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr for his 8 years of service in this important position in Minnesota. Tom has always been supportive of everything that MWA has done over the years and that continued as he served as DNR Commissioner. Tom is a member of MWA and members would see Tom at MWA banquets around the state and annually at our annual Waterfowl Symposiums and awards banquet.

Today, Governor Elect Walz has announced that the new DNR Commissioner will be Sarah Strommen. Sarah is an MWA member and has attended our Rum River banquet with her family for years. So we know Sarah as well, and have high regard for her work ethic and leadership and look forward to working together in the coming years. Most recently Sarah was an Assistant Commissioner in the DNR, so we believe this will be an easy transition.

We wish Sarah luck and will look forward to working on behalf of the members of MWA, with the DNR under her leadership.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: New DNR Commisioner

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:50 am

h2ofwlr wrote:Well at least she's a hunter it seems.

MWA would like to thank DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr for his 8 years of service in this important position in Minnesota. Tom has always been supportive of everything that MWA has done over the years and that continued as he served as DNR Commissioner. Tom is a member of MWA and members would see Tom at MWA banquets around the state and annually at our annual Waterfowl Symposiums and awards banquet.

Today, Governor Elect Walz has announced that the new DNR Commissioner will be Sarah Strommen. Sarah is an MWA member and has attended our Rum River banquet with her family for years. So we know Sarah as well, and have high regard for her work ethic and leadership and look forward to working together in the coming years. Most recently Sarah was an Assistant Commissioner in the DNR, so we believe this will be an easy transition.

We wish Sarah luck and will look forward to working on behalf of the members of MWA, with the DNR under her leadership.
Landwehr did nothing for ducks except giving us liberal season. He is a nice guy who lives down the street from me but he did not even attempt to pretend he was interested in ducks. Granted its a losing battle but still.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: New DNR Commisioner

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:59 am

I disagree, it could have gone a LOT worse if a no waterfowl hunting person was at the helm these last 8 yrs and will leave it at that.

From MN Outdoor News:

Walz names Sarah Strommen to lead Minnesota DNR
January 3, 2019
Rob Drieslein
[​IMG]
Sarah Strommen speaks at a news conference today after being tabbed as the new DNR commissioner by Gov.-elect Tim Walz (far left). (Photo by Javier Serna)
Share this
Gov.-elect Tim Walz named new leadership to several state agencies on Thursday, including new DNR Commissioner Sarah Strommen. The former mayor of the City of Ramsey and a current assistant commissioner with the DNR, Strommen becomes the first woman to lead the agency.

At a noon press conference near Hastings today, Walz and Lieutenant Gov.-elect Peggy Flanagan also announced that Thom Petersen would lead the state Department of Agriculture, Laura Bishop will head the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, and Jan Malcolm will tackle the Department of Health.

Strommen’s bio on the DNR website details her role in the Dayton administration as an assistant commissioner for the Division of Parks and Trails and the Division of Fish and Wildlife, as well as the agency’s work with LCCMR and LSOHC.

Previously, she worked as an assistant director and acting deputy director with the Board of Water and Soil Resources since 2012. Prior to that, she worked in the nonprofit sector as associate director of the Minnesota Land Trust and as policy director for Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness. She holds a B.A. from Grinnell College, where she majored in biology and Latin American studies. She used a Fulbright research scholarship for post-graduation field work in Costa Rica and subsequently earned an MEM degree in environmental management from Duke University.

Walz offered the following comments on his new DNR selection: “As a sportsman and lifelong member of Pheasants Forever, I know firsthand the importance of this agency and being a steward of our land. Sarah Strommen built her career integrating science and policymaking across sectors and has a deep understanding and appreciation for our natural resources.

“She embraces our vision for one Minnesota and will work to build consensus among citizens and stakeholders alike.”

In a release from the gov.-elect’s office, Joe Duggan, a former Pheasants Forever vice president, said, “With a deep appreciation for Minnesota wildlife and natural lands, Sarah brings experience, passion, and integrity to the DNR. She’s an innovative and energetic conservation leader, and I look forward to working with Sarah in her new role to conserve Minnesota natural resources.”

Early on Thursday, DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr confirmed with Outdoor News that he would not be returning to the role under new DFL Gov. Walz. Landwehr had served in the role for eight years under Gov. Mark Dayton and applied to stay on under the new administration.

In a letter to colleagues shortly after Thursday’s press conference, Landwehr wrote, “While I am disappointed to not continue as Commissioner, I am very pleased that Sarah will be now assuming the mantle starting next week. She is highly qualified, dedicated, and well known in the conservation community. I wish her all the best, and solicit your support.”

Landwehr, who has a couple of kids in college, said he intends to keep working, preferably within the state conservation scene in some capacity.

“I just found out about this yesterday, so I’ve been processing this for less than 24 hours,” Landwehr said. “Minnesota is a great state to be in for conservation and hunting and fishing, and I’m hopeful I can find something in the state to continue working on the projects we love.”

Landwehr worked for the DNR from 1982 through 1999, primarily with wetland wildlife conservation programs. Later, he directed the Ducks Unlimited conservation programs in Minnesota and Iowa before becoming assistant state director for The Nature Conservancy. A serious hunter and angler, he also is an adjunct instructor of a course on wetlands conservation at the University of Minnesota.

Working in arguably the most scrutinized job in all of state government, Landwehr called the job “an honor.”

“I’ve served alongside so many incredible people doing great work,” Landwehr said. “We’ve had outstanding staff from the deputy commissioner on down.

“We’ve done a lot of great things over past eight years, and I’ve been so honored to be a part of it,” he said.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:33 am

Landwehr = hypocrite

Dude tells the anti-wolf hunting crowd to pound sand because the DNR uses science based wildlife management....not emotions...to make make their decisions.

A year later MN is offered an early real season and becomes the only state ever to not hold one when given the option.....Landwehr tells the hunters that wanted it they're bloodthirsty game hogs....he and thus the DNR manage based on emotion....as they cry gazing off into an early September sunset and ask oh where have all the ducks of my youth and yesteryear gone, before they start weeping.....and start noticing flock after flock of blue-wings and go, "Oh....there they are."
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:52 am

No shortage of opportunities to bag on the guy, but don't spend too much energy agonizing over the dastardly duck issue/faux pas that is, or is not, the teal season.

Landwehr was likely the best defense against Dave Zentner and his merry band of over zealous do-gooders that wanted such things as: abolish 1/2 hour before sunrise and start at official sunrise, or 9:00 everyday, or something.... you know, the same group that LOVED setting MN limits lower than USFWS recommendations:

USFWS says 2 hen mallards, MN says 1

USFWS says 3 wood ducks, MN says 2

Noon and 9:00 am openers, spinning wing regulations, etc, etc.

The best I think we can hope for is that Strommen chooses to make a mark by working with what we've got: improve the public lands we already have so they actually produce/hold birds vs large scale acquisition, manage existing lands more effectively through such things as moist soil management, manage the splits/zones to maximize opportunity when the birds are in the State..... the teal season won't likely happen because on survey 1/3 of the hunters "don't want to swat mosquitos for those little things..." and 1/3 don't want to burn days when they are apparently stacking millions of mallards like cord wood at the end of November.... I think both are B.S., but whatever.
Last edited by lanyard on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:21 am

The biggest change needs to be that stupid long southern split. Or have two splits one early from Monday-Friday and another late like Monday-Thursday. But cutting out weekends in the south zone is insane.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:14 am

Hansen wrote:The biggest change needs to be that stupid long southern split. Or have two splits one early from Monday-Friday and another late like Monday-Thursday. But cutting out weekends in the south zone is insane.

Everything the DNR has said to this point is that surveys Indicate more people like the current framework than don't.

I personally think the survey is flawed to support the current framework.

I question a DNR "insider"'s ability to take a new look last the mechanisms that continue to support the current split clusterduck....

Takem1
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: New DNR Commisioner

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:18 am

lanyard wrote:[quote="Hansen"]The biggest change needs to be that stupid long southern split. Or have two splits one early from Monday-Friday and another late like Monday-Thursday. But cutting out weekends in the south zone is insane.

Everything the DNR has said to this point is that surveys Indicate more people like the current framework than don't.

I question a DNR "insider"'s ability to take a new look last the mechanisms that continue to support the current split clusterduck....[/quote]The DNR is full of crap. They need to turn the central and south zone into one and make a special zone for the southeast part of Minnesota.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:29 am

I've been an advocate of that plan since the inception of the 3 zone split.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: New DNR Commisioner

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:23 pm

Takem1 wrote:[quote="lanyard"][quote="Hansen"]The biggest change needs to be that stupid long southern split. Or have two splits one early from Monday-Friday and another late like Monday-Thursday. But cutting out weekends in the south zone is insane.

I question a DNR "insider"'s ability to take a new look last the mechanisms that continue to support the current split clusterduck....[/quote]The DNR is full of crap. They need to turn the central and south zone into one and make a special zone for the southeast part of Minnesota.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk[/quote]Basically like the first year we had the split. North zone, south zone and a 5 day split.

Give the se mn guys whatever season they want.

sent from deez nutz lay'n on yo chin
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”