Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Regulations That Need Updating

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:00 am

I remembered there being some restriction on hunting geese on the MN river by Mankato back twenty years ago when I used to hunt it, so I was checking the regs curious about it due to the property listed in the other thread by St. Peter....

...anyways

I saw the airboat restrictions for some lakes, like Onamia, and it struck me how stupid and out of date that is.

First off, I've never seen an airboat while duck hunting. There was an opener hunting down by Mankato when I couldn't even drive yet where we were on a heavily hunted public area that had a channel cut/dredged through the cattails and I vaguely remember the DNR coming out to check people using an airboat. Might be a dream....might be my memory going to shit. Regardless, that would be the one and only time of seeing an airboat if it actually happened.

So why do we have airboat restrictions on a bunch of lakes when mud motors have been popular for over a decade?

Is there any point at all to that law or is it something that no one has simply put any effort into getting off the books?

Laws always get created, rarely do they get taken off the books. It's why our hunting fishing regs when lined up on could be mistaken for an encyclopedia set on a bookshelf.

I personally think our ridiculous regs, and all the dicks in our state that love to be "Minnesota Nice" and go out of their way to let someone new to the sport get an earful for breaking some stupid and petty law that's meaningless, are real hindrances to people picking the outdoor pastimes up.

What other regs are outdated but still on the books that should get pulled?

The airboat one isn't a federal thing and takes up an entire page of regs. So something like that getting updated because it's pointless would reduce the waterfowl regs by a full page right there alone.

Anything else like that you guys can think of?
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Re: Regulations That Need Updating

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:46 am

If we're talking regs as a whole, our whitetail management is in the stone ages between gun season in the middle of the rut and allowing party hunting.

When I read the fishing regs I almost have a seizure with all the different lakes and their individual restrictions.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:19 pm

I'm talking regs that are more or less non-applicable to anyone or anything....like air boats....who the fukc owns an airboat?

The deer regs are open to all kinds of discussion over why they're flawed, but they are still used by a lot of people.

I'm looking for the regs that apply to no one or next to no one.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:56 pm

fair enough. For years I've wondered if there's enough interest to justify snipe and rail regulations and including it in HIP cert. I asked the last person (old timer) that sold me a license if anyone he'd ever had anyone that had hunted snipe and rail in his recollection and his answer was "no"

I have no doubt that someone out there hunts them, but seems like the population would be comparable to the number of airboat owners?

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:40 pm

What’s the reg book, like 136 pages?

I’d like to see it cut in half minimum.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:45 pm

Mallard_maniac wrote:fair enough. For years I've wondered if there's enough interest to justify snipe and rail regulations and including it in HIP cert. I asked the last person (old timer) that sold me a license if anyone he'd ever had anyone that had hunted snipe and rail in his recollection and his answer was "no"

I have no doubt that someone out there hunts them, but seems like the population would be comparable to the number of airboat owners?

That's a perfect one!

And no shit, who hunts snipes, rails, and gallinules?

I had a college buddy shoot a snipe while duck hunting on one of the first hunts we went on. Just out of the blue this "shorebird" comes flying (bobbing & dropping) in over the cattails from behind us and unexpectedly my buddy draws on it and smokes it and I was like, "WTF Dude!?" This was back when I was by the book and we were hunting a popular public area next to town....so I thought we were screwed...going to have all our shit confiscated by officer green jeans.

Then my buddy starts going on and on about how it's a snipe and a legal bird and shows me the regs and I still didn't believe him but looked into it for myself and realized he wasn't kidding.

That's one of two, maybe three, snipe-rails-gallinules I've seen shot in my lifetime of hunting.

So perfect example. Why even have it in the regs? I've known about it for a long time yet still never cared to go after them. Anyone that is going hunting for those is being forced to go by one of the four people left on the continent that actively pursue them.

Boomski! Another page or two out of the regs with that one. Hell, maybe even more with the ID pics?
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:51 pm

emptymag wrote:What’s the reg book, like 136 pages?

Which one?

There's the main fall hunting guide book of regs, the waterfowl supplement, and various other supplements....like how there used to be an extra small regs for early season geese.

Then we got the several hundred pages for fishing. Maybe it's less now...I can't remember....think they went to really small print for the special regs on three hundred plus bodies of water so it only takes up a couple dozen pages but you need to read it with a magnifying glass.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

GK1
Coot Commander

Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:58 pm

I live on and hunt the river in far SE corner. We got airboats up the ass. Can't even sit on the deck with a beer in the summertime without hearing them sumbitches.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:54 pm

I’m one of about a thousand people in the state who hunt rails. I don’t even get out every year, but I’d go a lot more if I had the time and someone to go with me. Does it need regulations here? Probably not. Just don’t outlaw it, it’s fun.

I was down with the “early openers” to start with but now I see that as outdated. F September 21 for a duck opener. Gimme teal season and regular duck opener Saturday closest to October 1st. Or, if we’re dreaming, on October 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:52 am

Fish Felon wrote:
emptymag wrote:What’s the reg book, like 136 pages?

Which one?

There's the main fall hunting guide book of regs, the waterfowl supplement, and various other supplements....like how there used to be an extra small regs for early season geese.

Then we got the several hundred pages for fishing. Maybe it's less now...I can't remember....think they went to really small print for the special regs on three hundred plus bodies of water so it only takes up a couple dozen pages but you need to read it with a magnifying glass.

All of them.

About the only thing I read anymore is the duck bag limits.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”