Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: Vikings 2019

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:44 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Curious if the receiver core and cousins are getting along. I saw that great catch Thielen made on an absolutely terrible throw by cousins first game. Made me shake my head cause it's not gonna work if the receivers gotta make miraculous catches every time they are targeted

PA says they are, and he wouldn't ever look at the Vikings in a biased fashion while wearing purple colored glasses. That dude is always objective!?!
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:11 am

Fish Felon wrote:
lanyard wrote:Since 1990 they have had 7 Playoff Wins.......

As big of a cynic as I am, that's not that bad....

One, good teams get a bye and don't have to play in the "wild card" round, they start at the divisional round...as did the '98, '00, '09, and '17 Vikings. Coincidentally, every time they've received a bye they've won a playoff game in the divisional round and gone on to the NFC championship game.

So even though those years they technically only won a single playoff game, they essentially advanced to the third round of the playoffs...despite only playing in two rounds.

In my opinion, you might as well add another playoff win to those years since that's what it felt like and kind of what happens in the NFL.

Especially when compared to years like the 2015 Vikings that went 11-5, won the division, and then lost in brutal fashion 9-10 to the Seattle Seahawks in the first round (AKA "wild card round") during a home playoff game...one of the coldest...if not the coldest game time temps ever for a football game.

Now contrast that with the 2004 Vikings, a team that went 8-8 yet won a playoff game in the wild card round....at Green Bay, the Randy Moss pantomime mooning the fans game... .

I digress.

Look, at least we're not forced to root for the Lions.

Thanks for the Positive Mental Attitude PA Jr.

The 20 years from 1970-1990: 11 playoff wins, 3 SUPERBOWL losses. Starting Quarterbacks: 11.

Brad effing Childress was our head coach. Les phucking Steckle. Anyone care to start the list of Viking's assistants that went on to win Superbowls as Head Coaches, then tally the head coaches that went on to win, wait, that even WENT ON to continue being head coaches after leaving MN?

Zimmer doesn't have it in him.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:19 am

lanyard wrote:Thanks for the Positive Mental Attitude PA Jr.

The 20 years from 1970-1990: 11 playoff wins, 3 SUPERBOWL losses. Starting Quarterbacks: 11.

Brad effing Childress was our head coach. Les phucking Steckle. Anyone care to start the list of Viking's assistants that went on to win Superbowls as Head Coaches, then tally the head coaches that went on to win, wait, that even WENT ON to continue being head coaches after leaving MN?

Zimmer doesn't have it in him.

I think Zim might have it in him....

Zim has it in him! Zim has it in him! Zim has it in him!

The Vikings are the Champions of Choking. No team has been as consistently good yet never won it all. Of the teams that have never won a superbowl, four are expansion franchises younger than the superbowl itself....none of the teams have a franchise winning record....

....except for the Minnesota Vikings.

You talk about the 70's and yeah, you're right...the Vikings were really good then. Hell, they had a better record for the decade than the Steelers, and they won four superbowls!

You have to realize that I enjoy nothing more than the Vikings choking. The 2015 team that went 11-5 and lost at home to Seattle on Blair Walsh's missed chip shot? Loved it. Or the 2016 team, first squad to play in the new stadium, that started the season 5-0 only to choke the rest of the way to a 3-8 record and miss the playoffs? Loved it. The 2017 NFC championship game might be my favorite Vikings game of all time....team of destiny....looked like the first team to play at home for the superbowl...Minneapolis Miracle had totally reversed the curse and flipped the script....went into Philadelphia and promptly marched down the field to a 7-0 lead and even I.....me....the biggest Vikings cynic ever....believed they might actually be a team of destiny....for a split second I thought, "Holy Shit---this might actually be something special, in a way that's about winning!"

And then the bottom fell out and they got their asses kicked.

Hell, the eagles fans had the team shitting their pants inside their bus on the way out of town. Even the Vikings fans that went to the game got their asses kicked.

It was glorious!

My dream season is the same as that, but instead of it happening in the NFC championship game....to have it happen in the superbowl. My dream season has them going into the big game heavily favored....as in a total cinch to win it....only to choke in epic fashion.....like the Falcons did against the Patriots a few years back....blowing like a 28-0 lead at halftime. Think that but the Vikings instead of the Falcons, and that is my ultimate hope for the team as a fan.

If we win a superbowl we're just another "also ran" mediocre NFL franchise.....winning it all would eliminate all the great history. It'd take away all the epic gut punches, banish "the crying blondes" from '98 to nothingness.

There was once an infomercial that ran late at night on TV for NFL team jackets. They were leather and pretty nice, and on one arm had the team's superbowl wins denoted by the year they won it inside a team colored football, and on the back it had the team logo and said "Super Bowl Champs." So they of course showed the Steelers black Letterman style jacket with their six leather yellow footballs on black leather sleeves, each year they won it on the football...then the Broncos, Patriots, Cowboys, Niners, etc., and they even had the most recent superbowl winner the Seattle Seahawks with another really nice jacket and their one football with the most recent superbowl year on a football on the sleeve. The jackets weren't cheap, which was kind of odd considering it was a late night infomercial.....

.....yet I called them anyways to ask to purchase a Vikings "Superbowl Championship" jacket with no footballs on the sleeve. They didn't have one and didn't get it. I even asked if I could somehow special order one that said "Champions of Choking" instead. No dice.

Anyways, as Mike Tice once said, "Enjoy the Season."

Zim indeed does have it in him. I think he's destined to be only the second head coach in franchise history to get us to the big game, be favored, and then choke in epic fashion.

That's why I like him so much.

Screenshot_20190821-084706_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190821-084626_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190821-084536_Chrome.jpg
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:29 am

I mean...is there even any other team that has never had a losing record for a decade than the Vikings? Seriously! We're almost always respectable up to pretty good, even borderline great, and even when we're bad we're not that bad. There's only two years in franchise history that we were abysmal. 6-10 is a "really bad" Vikings team and that's not even that bad....they're still winning a couple games for every few they lose.

No team has historically been as good as the Vikings yet never won it all. No franchise in all of pro sports has ever been so good yet found so many ways to choke time and time again like the Vikings.

I think this might be our year!

By that I mean they have a chance to get people's hopes up to once again only let them down. I see this team being good enough to break a lot of hearts again in epic fashion.....

....and as a Vikings fan like me, that's all you can really hope for!

Embrace the choking, for our team, the Minnesota Vikings, are the all-time Champions of it.

Screenshot_20190821-084315_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190821-084432_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190821-084506_Chrome.jpg
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:35 am

They need to stop embracing the "Storied Past" and start embracing winning without apology. Bilichek wins for the simple reason he doesn't expect to lose. He accepts loss, learns from it, and comes back out and kicks everyone's ass, again. He doesn't apologize for any of it. He doesn't hang players, or stuffed cats, out to have to 'listen' to a message.

JFC, everyone moves into this god forsaken den of loserville and starts blah, blah, Bud Grant, blah blah blah, Purple People Eaters, blah blah blah, fans.

Screw the fans, screw the Purple People Eaters, screw Bud Grant. Go win and give the coaches 20 years from now someone to look up to. Be the cause of the shadow THEY live under for christsakes and phuck 'return to the glory days'. Sounds like we have the effing DNR running the damn program... let's put together a 50 year plan to winning the Superbowl! (shaking my head, sadly).

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:17 pm

lanyard wrote:They need to stop embracing the "Storied Past" and start embracing winning without apology. Bilichek wins for the simple reason he doesn't expect to lose. He accepts loss, learns from it, and comes back out and kicks everyone's ass, again. He doesn't apologize for any of it. He doesn't hang players, or stuffed cats, out to have to 'listen' to a message.

JFC, everyone moves into this god forsaken den of loserville and starts blah, blah, Bud Grant, blah blah blah, Purple People Eaters, blah blah blah, fans.

Screw the fans, screw the Purple People Eaters, screw Bud Grant. Go win and give the coaches 20 years from now someone to look up to. Be the cause of the shadow THEY live under for christsakes and phuck 'return to the glory days'. Sounds like we have the effing DNR running the damn program... let's put together a 50 year plan to winning the Superbowl! (shaking my head, sadly).

Dude....dude.....mi amigo.....

That's never going to happen. I sincerely felt empathy and sorrow for you reading your post, especially at the end.

Being a vikings fan doesn't need to be so depressing. There's something very special right in front of your eyes that if you can just see the beauty in it and embrace it......being a Vikes fan can be even more fulfilling than rooting for the Patriots.

Enjoy the season! Enjoy the choking! Nowhere else knows it better or does it better than we do.

Stop taking that for granted.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:36 pm

My favorite vikings activity is watching them lose, then listening to sports radio Monday morning on the way to work. So funny listening to the callers freak out, what do they expect? The Vikes have always, will always SUCK.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:37 pm

FF and my definitions of "Embrace the Suck" differ

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:38 pm

lanyard wrote:Since 1990 the Vikings have had 26 different starting Quarterbacks.....

Since 1990 they have had 7 Playoff Wins.......

Go VIKES!

_ucking Packers fan!
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:59 pm

3rd and most important preseason game. Any takeaways other than the offense looking like shit besides for Dalvin Cook?
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”