Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Bands

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:39 pm

This is less of a "big dick" contest than I'm sure it comes across as....

....I'm a schizophrenic loser who lives like a rolling stone trying to escape the people I think are out there to kill me that have driven me into a state of perpetual insanity.

I'm not even allowed to possess a firearm in the state of MN, and haven't been able to for a while, hence all the fishing pics....and FYI if I could hunt the massive piles of ducks and geese would make all of you guys look like total fukcing losers.

Anyways, just wondering what you guys have shot for bands?

Please tell a story of your most memorable one??

What one migrated the furthest that you've shot?

What's your dream band?

Screenshot_20190826-132741_Gallery.jpg
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: Bands

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:58 pm

Honestly, I hunt with a bunch of "those" guys that think they hit every bird. Meaning I've never legitimately been able to cleanly claim a band. Which honestly don't really matter to me. I won the draw on one Canada band and one snow band. There was a double banded reward greenhead a buddy and I shot in ND one year that was probably the coolest, course he claimed it and got it mounted

Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:25 pm

The coolest 1 I have shot is a 19 year old Snow goose that was banded up in Natavat, Alaska shot in the spring in South Dakota. My hometown used to band tons of town geese and if you hunted close to town, odds were good to get them.

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:49 pm

Jack Miner drake a mallard 13 years old. Almost worn thru. Gave it to my hunting buddy with the understanding he would be responsible to "clean" the birds.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:30 pm

Jack miner duck band and a blue wing band are the only two really neat ones. I only have 1/2 dozen duck bands total and all of them have been memorable. I dont know how many goose bands (20ish) but dont much care. Finding banded geese in MN is like finding a truck with rusty rocker panels. I tend to give them away to other hunters that care more or kids that'll remember ths hunt. The only goose bands I've kept I've undoubtedly shot

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:05 pm

I’ve shot so few banded birds, they don’t mean anything to me except when I actually get one.

Got a 13+ year old canvasback when I was a kid and got a neck banded Ross that wasn’t even the bird I shot at. Found a pelican band washed up in the sand once.

Those were pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:03 am

Would like to hear the stories of those bands......

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:48 am

Two years ago I shot a banded pintail, banded near Norman Wells NW Territories. . . . shot in ND. It was a 4 years old drake.

I shot a banded wigeon about 10 years ago banded in SD, shot in SW MN.

Honker bands are way less interesting, most are banded in MN shot in MN.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:22 am

^^^ I wouldn't say less interesting in my eyes, just less impressive to get one but when I do I'm still fascinated by the birds story.....

In fact some of the most interesting bands I've shot have been 8, 9, 10 yr old birds that were banded as babies and I shot them within miles of the banding site. It's cool to shoot those bands that travel long distances but equally interesting to find those birds that return to literally the same spot year in and out. No GPS, Smartphone, Google earth, etc.....

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:32 pm

Shot 1.5 year old hen redhead banded in northern Sask. that’s me only band. Spent a lot of time hunting south of middle river and still didn’t get a single band from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”