Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: The "why is it" thread

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:48 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:
Fish Felon wrote:
GK1 wrote:Why is it I think FF and Fowler meet every Saturday morning at a seedy ass bar and hold each other for support.

Because "Man-Love" is the Best Love.

:shock:

While I sympathize for you that Epstein was offed by Hillary, don't come looking my way...

Oh, some day I'm going to make you my "Boner Boy." ;)
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:29 pm

Mallard_maniac wrote:
maplelakeduckslayer wrote:I'll start.

Ever since they built Maple Grove hospital, and I drive past it almost every day in 94 traffic, I've wondered why ambulances don't blast right down the shoulder and take the exit to the hospital, they will slowly crawl through stop and go traffic blaring the horn and flashing lights so people divide like the red Sea for them. When seconds could count this absolutely doesn't make sense to me.

Is it because the shoulders are too rough/road debris that could possibly cause additional injury to the patient and/or damage the ambulance?

While I won't claim to know the answers to alot of the nonsense being brought up in this thread, this question is a pretty simple one..... liability.

Anytime EMS break traffic laws the liability goes through the roof. Sounds ridiculous at face value but it's real. There were several high profile cases from the late 90's, maybe even early 2000's where emergency vehicles went through lights or traveling at a high rate of speed either killed or hurt someone. Who's at fault? The driver of the ambulance or fire truck was more often than not and lawsuits didn't stop at the agency level. The operators were sometimes held criminally accountable. Same holds true for your scenario.... an ambulance jumps on to the shoulder lights and sirens blaring, 10 cars up some soccer mom hears it, not knowing where it's coming from and pulls her minivan with a car full of kids over (because it's a state law to do so) right into the ambulance? Guess who winds up in court and lilkely jail? It's easier and safer for us to pull over (by law) and them navigate through at a slower rate of speed. For the very few calls where seconds actually count, it doesn't do anyone... any good if that vehicle & driver gets in an accident

I took an emergency vehicle class in the mid-2000's (part of emt) and remember a paramedic doing a video conf as he was serving hard time for involuntary manslaughter, after running a light and t-boning someone. right intent, wrong placee at wrong time.... his crime was speeding. At the time there was a big push in all facets of ems to slow down. Some of it is unavoidable (i.e. an officer in pursuit) but especially in the cases of medical vehicles it was a neccessary evil.

Kinda makes sense but busses are non emergency and they take the shoulder...I mean even if the ambulance did 30 mph it'd be quicker than going through traffic and slow enough to avoid most accidents. Just seems odd I guess, but like you said maybe if it was truly a seconds count sort of injury, they would. I can see best practices of not going on the shoulder for something non life threatening

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:24 pm

Why is it when ever anyone tells the fable of the Frog and the Scorpion, they only tell it if they see themselves as the frog?

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:53 pm

Why is it your mechanic can"fix" your truck that just left you stranded last Weds but now it's Tues and you are stranded again?

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:44 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Why is it your mechanic can"fix" your truck that just left you stranded last Weds but now it's Tues and you are stranded again?

Well, now I have buyer's remorse.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:09 pm

lanyard wrote:
maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Why is it your mechanic can"fix" your truck that just left you stranded last Weds but now it's Tues and you are stranded again?

Well, now I have buyer's remorse.

Lol, it was a seemingly mild issue...fuel pump. At least that's what the mechanic said it was, I didn't have time to do it myself. Coasted up to a light, started shaking, wouldn't restart last Weds. Tonight same thing and code was low fuel rail pressure. So either there's something in the gas knocking it out(just filled last Tues evening and the pump crapped out under 24hrs later and the same gas is in the tank now), got unlucky with a poorly manufactured pump, or it's a different issue but somehow installing a new pump made it start again. Weird. We'll see what he says tomorrow

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:44 am

So was the FP replaced last Wed or not? Replaced the fuel filter too?
They can be a spendy proposition. Mine was $1100 installed a year ago.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:24 pm

Ya the fuel pump has a built in "lifetime" filter...so the whole unit was replaced last Weds. They are easy to do I did it as a guess to another issue a few years back...just didn't have time to get to it and obviously more difficult when it goes 30 miles from home away from your tools. Didn't hear from him today so guess we'll see what he says tomorrow.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:03 am

Even harder to do when the lines are rusty. :/
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:11 pm

Why is it I've almost died multiple times and nearly caused a few crashes staring at ducks/geese flying but have never come close while using my phone in the car..... but they outlaw mobile phones and not bird watching, so I'm still a menace to Joe Public?

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”