Mergie Marauder

MWA all done............

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:14 am

Announcement from MWA

By MWA, 09/06/19, 11:00AM CDT
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to Facebook
2Share to TwitterShare to More

Announcement From the MWA Board of Directors

The Minnesota Waterfowl Association’s (MWA) Board of Directors regrets to announce, after 52 years of outstanding wetlands restoration, land conservation and our outstanding educational efforts, a decision has been made to dissolve the Organization effective September 30, 2019.

Times have changed in the waterfowl and conservation world, and the old duck men are fading into the sunset. Due to an aging and declining use base in waterfowl hunting and conservation a trend has developed over the last decade or so which points to the reality of the time. Declining duck populations, Duck Stamp sales, access and declining membership are all indicators which contributed to this decision.

Organizational growth depends on recruiting a younger and / or interested conservation generation. MWA’s inability to recruit this needed generation made it difficult for MWA to meet its obligations and forced the decision to dissolve this time honored conservation group.

MWA acknowledges and tips its hat to our Founders, our membership, our Volunteers and our Conservation Partners. The Minnesota Waterfowl Association, Inc. will cease to exist as of September 30, 2019.

Thank you for your support and dedication.

John Schroers
Chairman of the Board
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: MWA all done............

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:37 am

When I was on the BOD, about 20 years ago, the recruitment numbers we studied for conservation organizations specifically, but also generally across membership organizations: +/- 10% of the total target population could be anticipated to join.

Delta expanding to chapters/fundraisers was the largest market entrant. DU was always competition, but they were definitely the 'rich guy' club. MWA fit a blue collar, roll up the sleeves population of hunters that were more likely to spend time helping build the local shooting range than hit the town golf course.

DU, PF, Delta with their multi-state/regional/national/international capabilities are better able to mass members, which makes corporate sponsorships more available. Other changes: getting "free" goods for banquets became more work than the banquet itself; local interests vs State interests increasingly made for a franchisor/franchisee friction; recruitment generally of hunters for any conservation activity, let alone a rapidly declining population, whether real numbers or as a portion of total population, lowers membership.

Not certain about any specific recent issues. I haven't been involved personally for somewhere around 10/12 years. Just too much other sh!t, can't even make a banquet 5 miles from my house these days. For that matter, can't remember the last time I renewed my membership. As I recall, it may have gotten chucked when they piled on with the Zentner group against early BWT, but may have been before that. Schroer's is a good dude, give him credit for 1) holding it out as long as he did; 2) pulling the plug. It's a b!tch job. A lot of people will say, "should have happened years ago"..... but guessing those people haven't ever invested much of themselves in anything.

Best to the team over there.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:25 pm

I've not been a member for 10 plus years probably. I did go to the hutch, and big ducks chapter banquet several times, good banquets over all. It's interesting how the press release talks about the aging population of duck hunters. I do agree if we don't back fill with a new group of hunters things will be over in 20 or 30 years probably.

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:41 pm

I have nothing but disdain for this group of morons who were against the Teal season while part of their mission statement was to increase hunting opportunity.

Suck it and see ya never.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:02 pm

Stute Slap wrote:I have nothing but disdain for this group of morons who were against the Teal season while part of their mission statement was to increase hunting opportunity.

LOL. Don't hold back.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Stute Slap wrote:I have nothing but disdain for this group of morons who were against the Teal season while part of their mission statement was to increase hunting opportunity.

That was definitely a strategic catastrophe.

They also never recovered from lost membership after the McGinty BS.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:42 pm

lanyard wrote:

That was definitely a strategic catastrophe.

They also never recovered from lost membership after the McGinty BS.

The MWA deserves one final F**k Off.
Dominate The Skies.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:02 pm

The Teal season and the McGinty ordeal was kinda the downfall it seems, I used to belong and bought a gun calendar every year, but doing 2 banquets was too much, do the DU yet and that's about it......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:29 pm

Hansen wrote:

LOL. Don't hold back.

Yeah kinda harsh but what a bunch of idiots.

Here is copy and paste from their own website.

In order to achieve our mission the following goals have been set.

1) Ensure waterfowl habitat and wetlands through preservation, restoration, and solid and ethical land management policies and programs.

2) Be a leader in and work for legislative initiatives related to waterfowl, wetlands, and conservation issues.

3) Work in unison with our volunteers, public, and private partners to ensure these objectives.

4) Recruit new hunters, expand hunter opportunity, and teach ethical skills and behaviors that will ensure our hunting heritage.

5) Protect hunting rights, shooting sports, and associated activities for all Minnesotans.

6) Education on the importance and benefits of wetland restoration and preservation, along with the associated benefits of hunting.

7) Increase membership and funding for MWA to help us grow our mission and insure our long-term viability so we can plan for our growth.

8.) Maximize our volunteer’s effectiveness.

The bold portion is just a flat out, BS, contradiction to their own mission statement and the underlined parts are semi contradictions that by being against the Teal season directly worked against their own goals.

Hunting is on it's way out, just the way it is but these guys got what they deserve.....actually got off easy.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Brad is a stand up guy from the little I know of him- I’d hunt with him or go on a trip or whatever.

That board of directors and membership is a dinosaur that met it’s destiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”