9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Re: Vikings 2019

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:33 pm

I must admit when we got the ball with 2:30 left in the game we had 0 chance to win the game, just once I wish they would prove me wrong, told the wife were gona lose this game, watch, she said I'm too negative all the time , that's what happens from being a Viking fan your whole life ( Mister Negative)...........prolly never going to change either....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:46 pm

9manfan wrote:I must admit when we got the ball with 2:30 left in the game we had 0 chance to win the game, just once I wish they would prove me wrong, told the wife were gona lose this game, watch, she said I'm too negative all the time , that's what happens from being a Viking fan your whole life ( Mister Negative)...........prolly never going to change either....

Honestly? I was rooting for overtime. That's what I presumed was our best case scenario being = Not Losing

Never did I even consider us marching down and scoring a TD after burning up most of the clock.

I pretty much knew the game was over after pinning them deep on that punt and then allowing a 91yd rushing TD... their longest in franchise history.

Why is it the Vikings are on the opposite side of every team's all-time franchise records? Longest passing TD? Longest Kickoff return, punt return, turnover turned into defensive touchdown....you name it.....when a team plays it's highlights?

Nine times out of ten the Vikings are on the other side of the ball. Just Sayin'
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:58 pm

9manfan wrote:I must admit when we got the ball with 2:30 left in the game we had 0 chance to win the game, just once I wish they would prove me wrong, told the wife were gona lose this game, watch, she said I'm too negative all the time , that's what happens from being a Viking fan your whole life ( Mister Negative)...........prolly never going to change either....

I'm with this guy.

Damn near 50 years of watching the same choking in the clutch.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:02 am

What the he!! do they put in that purple cool aid that all the Homer's drink? How on earth do people stay fans of a pro sports team were you have to pay mountains of money to support millionaire athletes and billionaire owners? It's not like little Jimmy's peewee T-ball team or the home town high school football team. You pay money for a chitty product for this long and keep drinking the purple drink, I just don't get that at all. If tickets were $10 and it was entertaining and the cheerleaders stripped, well then it'd make some sense.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:58 am

get-n-birdy wrote:What the he!! do they put in that purple cool aid that all the Homer's drink? How on earth do people stay fans of a pro sports team were you have to pay mountains of money to support millionaire athletes and billionaire owners? It's not like little Jimmy's peewee T-ball team or the home town high school football team. You pay money for a chitty product for this long and keep drinking the purple drink, I just don't get that at all. If tickets were $10 and it was entertaining and the cheerleaders stripped, well then it'd make some sense.

I love the game of Football and watch it at all levels, the Vikings have never won the big one, got close couple times, I don't go to any games and I don't buy over priced merchandise but I watch them on TV which costs me nothing. Foosball is a Great Game..................
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:30 pm

I've spent a total of $0.00 supporting the Vikings. I've only ever been to one game where an old buddy had tickets and invited me. I've never bought any merchandise, to my recollection, maybe a t-shirt at Target or Savers once.........because I do remember owning a Vikings t-shirt back when I was married and wearing it on Thanksgiving and Christmas visits to Milwaukee while watching the Packers stomp the purple.

I'm like 9manfan, and follow football and other sports on a lot of different levels....in a lot of different ways. What I like most about it, other than thinking it's solid entertainment, is that it's very relatable....it's a common bond that connects people....behind the weather, if you're stuck in line at the DMV, talking to randoms at a bar, waiting on a bus bench, or at the LRT station.......only the weather itself is a more common ground, universally relatable subject for conservation than the Vikings. Or football anywhere.

Going spring snow goose hunting in Nebraska? Being able to bullshit Huskers football in relation to Gophers football will turn open farm doors into open fields and ponds. Ditto for NDSU in SEND (Southeast North Dakota). If you're vacationing/skiing in Colotado? Being able to bullshit the merits or lack thereof between Broncos and Vikings football will make your stay more enjoyable by enhancing the handful of true interactions with the people you stumble upon while there......

....and the list goes on and on for sports anywhere. It's a great conversation starter that lends to more open and enhanced conversation later, once it opens those doors for you.

Beyond the obvious entertainment factor, that's what I like about it. And it's not like you need to devote a ton of time to it either. You can actively follow any sports team and their respective standing in ten minutes of time or less a week. I spend a lot less time on sports than I do following hunting or fishing, and a hell of a lot less time than actively going hunting or fishing. I can watch any and every football game on my phone for free....NFL app comes free to every Verizon subscriber.....so it's not hard to velcro my phone to the dash and have the game heard on my boat speakers via bluetooth while I'm trolling for walleyes.....or listen to the game on the radio while I'm driving around scouting....or have the game on the TV as I nod off to an early afternoon nap while I'm hunting somewhere and staying in a motel.

I think what some people don't get, the people who openly disdain sports, is that it's not something we actively participate in that define us. There are a lot of people who really enjoy following sports that think it's kind of....or really gay.....to spend a bunch of money going to games wearing face paint, but to each their own.....that many guys less that are on the water cutting me off on my trolling route, or downwinding me on a slough....so I have no problem with people that want to do that.

Honestly?

The people who really seem to disdain sports put way more thought and energy into them than a passive yet fairly fervent fan like myself.

It's just pop-culture entertainment, no different than streaming a show on Netflix, listening to your favorite bands, or watching the news. Try not to take it so seriously and you might actually find yourself enjoying it too.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:53 pm

And as far as the whole, "you're supporting a bunch of whiny millionaire athletes and Jewball billionaire owners," argument.....

Every time you go to Walmart, McDonald's, watch any TV show, drive in a vehicle that you didn't build with your own two hands with wood you felled yourself......

.....you're directly supporting whiny, tax dollar taking for self-enrichment millionaires and billionaires.

If you don't want to support whiny millionaires and billionaires then you need to take that shotgun you purchased for hunting that directly supported whiny millionaires and billionaires and shoot yourself in the head and/or go find somewhere off the grid where you can live out the rest of your days in a grass hut.

Consumption is the name of the game....it's not just our economy anymore but the world economic system as a whole.

There is literally next to nothing you do that doesn't in some way support whiny million-billionaires.

Again, try to not let that bug you too much or it'll ruin your abilify to enjoy life.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:31 am

The economy... LMAO. Right felon?

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:09 pm

Must win for Vikes tonight if they want to have any serious consideration as a possible contender----Yay or Nay?
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:26 pm

I still don't know what to think about this squad.....

6-3 with "good losses" both at Green Bay and Kansas City....two legitimately upper-echelon teams....and they've only had one bad loss, at Chicago, where thoroughly had their shit handed to them. There has been nothing even close to being "Bills-esque" from last year, they've got a good (not great) record, and I'm still just like, "Meh."

I don't think Dallas is very good. Green Bay absolutely dismantled them in Dallas, and I'm not going to be impressed if the Vikes do too. I sincerely considered the Chiefs with five starters sitting out including their MVP QB to still be a more formidable foe than I'm viewing Dall-Ass to be.

What is becoming more and more.....just glaringly apparent....is what Kirk Cousins is going to play that game after the first series.

Last week?

He threw behind to the opposite side of Thielen the first and only series he played, three and out, and then we all knew he wasn't going to be much better. The fukcer looked scared from the get-go and was off all game.

As a fan, I'm liking Ponder as a quarterback more and more weekly over Cousins. Ponder was so fukcing bad every week he wasn't nearly as infuriating as watching Cousins is...

.....I try to remind myself that Joe Flacco went on one of the greatest strings of QB play over 6-8 games, led his team to a super bowl, won it, was deserving of MVP in the big game, and then reverted to being the hot or cold, up and down, streaky, often times pedestrian QB he has been ever since then.

That's Kirk Cousins ceiling.....which is extremely optimistic and positive despite me not thinking very highly of him, being a cynic, and often times hating the mother effer.....

So all in all, this Vikings season is like most others....in that we legitimately don't seem out of the discussion for being able to win it all, but we all know we won't and any hope we conjure up takes a lot of effort since it's just fool's gold.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”