Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Re: Statewide Rifle deer hunting

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:34 pm

Although it’s totally arbitrary, there is just something cooler about the idea of using something sleeker than a shotgun, like a .357 or .44 mag lever action rifle. or if you’re an LARP’ing autist like me, a .300 BLK AR pistol. Like there really isn’t a huge reason to switch to a flat walled cartridge from a slug gun but damned if people won’t do it anyways. there is just something not very sexy about a slug gun. They are kinda just short and chunky, but they will punch a helluva hole in a deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:06 pm

The spots I hunt 100 yard shot would be pretty far. I’d love to have my 357 pistol on While carrying a 357 lever gun....the end of November, while trying to fill my own tag.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:09 pm

Anyone think pheasant or duck stamp sale would increase if guys had a weekend or two more to hunt ducks and pheasants if deer season was pushed back a weekend or 2?
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:34 pm

emptymag wrote:Anyone think pheasant or duck stamp sale would increase if guys had a weekend or two more to hunt ducks and pheasants if deer season was pushed back a weekend or 2?

I had already give up the deer hunting to hunt ducks that weekend, have had some great duck hunts on opening deer hunting weekend , although this year everything was froze up so I did the deer thing, first time in 12 years or so, I would rather duck hunt, the season will NEVER be changed in Mn, it should be but I never see it happening....and as far as more stamp sales, I just don't see it, seems less duck hunters every year......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:49 pm

This one doesn't elicit a reaction from me one way or the other. I don't think it would even if I was in an area that's slug versus already hunting in a rifle area.

If I had to make up a contrived reason for concern to be used to rally people against rifles being allowed statewide?

It'd be how much the harvest rate will go up in the current slug areas.

Sure, a good slug gun with an experienced shooter pulling the trigger will kill deer...up to a 150yds. Any deer hunter in the field should be able to get within that distance of a deer during the season if they have enough time to hunt, and decent spots (public or private) to hunt.

With that being said.....the key part of my statement in the previous paragraph is, "Any deer hunter in the field," because with slug guns?

You still have to go afield to be successful.

With rifles in the areas that are now slugs that will no longer be the case. You'll be able to successfully deer hunt by driving around and shooting off the hood of your vehicle to drop deer out to about 400yds.....fairly easily.

As far as the safety shit? No concern.

As far as the other reg and date changes to deer hunting in MN? Never going to happen. It will never change. Never say never....but in this case? "Never" is the correct answer.

As far as more guys pheasant and duck hunting if deer was two weeks later? It won't change a thing the decline in license sales.

The declining number of guys going hunting for ducks and pheasants nowadays has nothing to do with not enough opportunity for times to go, or anything else. There's nothing that can be "tweaked" that will bring more guys out that want to go...as if there's 5K guys sitting on the sideline that want to go there just wasn't an opportunity for them to get out due to some nuanced scheduling conflict with the current season frameworks and their lives.

The reason why few people are going hunting is simple......

.....less people like it, more and more people would rather do just about anything else with their free time.

People don't do shit these days besides sit and look or play on their fukcing phones.

The demographic that should be seen being recruited into the hunting ranks, young to middle-aged males, if given the choice between going duck or pheasant hunting for eight hours....walking through tall grass and brush carrying a eight lbs shotgun.....or sitting in a stinky slough having to deal with all kinds of labor-intensive gear you have to put out, have it get wet and covered with mud and other gross shit before loosely organizing it while you bring it in......

If the modern male had the choice between those two activities or spending eight hours in an airport terminal alone and without a dollar in their pockets for money, but they'd have their phone with them on a full charge.....

Almost every single one of any motherfukcer you ask that's a male 18-45 is going to pick sitting in the airport playing on their phone while sitting on uncomfortable benches next to stinky foreigners.

That's how much people don't want to go hunting. People that enjoy it the way we do are a dying breed. Game over. Shit is done. It's just a matter of father time running out the clock before that point in time becomes the present.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:00 pm

Honestly I'd be scared to the point I may give up gun hunting deer in se mn if rifles were legalized. I've seen a lot of crap down there

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:17 am

Hadn’t thought about the road hunting issue FF mentioned... but that’s a legit safety concern too.

I was thinking more about goons doing drives in cattails and cornfields, hunting by lakes, etc. rifle ricochet is way bigger than slugs.

And for the ARs... everyone gots one. We’ll need a 5 round max capacity for deer hunting.

People are just too stupid when it comes to the one weekend a year they pretend to be an outdoorsman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:29 pm

Prediction is 5 shot first year this passes. I won't even go duck hunting during deer season anymore if this goes through. Its bad enough the was it is but now you'll have dumb shits seeing how far they can take a shot at them ducks (decoys) out there and hit them. Majority of the deer hunters in MN are dumb ass goons that I wouldn't trust with a full mag of .22 lr.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:10 am

gimpfinger wrote:Prediction is 5 shot first year this passes. I won't even go duck hunting during deer season anymore if this goes through. Its bad enough the was it is but now you'll have dumb shits seeing how far they can take a shot at them ducks (decoys) out there and hit them. Majority of the deer hunters in MN are dumb ass goons that I wouldn't trust with a full mag of .22 lr.

Very true....very astute prediction of what will happen.

I've done a fair amount of waterfowl hunting during ND deer gun season and you make sure you have a shitload of blaze orange in your blind with you to lift up whenever a truck stops the nearest spot on a road to your spread and "glasses" you. AKA sticks their rifle out the window and looks you over. We've used a blaze orange stocking cap or vest on the end of a flagging pole before. One time I was running down a cripple outside our spread, wearing all brown of course, and a truck that had already passed did a 180 at the next approach, hit the gas and came gunning it back up the gravel towards me. I hit the deck and laid as flat as possible while my buddies were standing up and waving each with a piece of blaze orange in their hands.....dude had stopped and was trying to find "the deer" he saw. It still took him a couple minutes before he moved along.

So yeah....there is that aspect of it. It's a legitimate concern especially if you're field hunting. Farmers, old timers, hell...a lot of guys like to shoot more than they like to hunt. Deer season is another opportunity for them to drive around and try to shoot something. They're after deer but a coyote, stray cat or dog, or some geese in a field all do a little towards scratching their itch.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:06 pm

gimpfinger wrote:Prediction is 5 shot first year this passes. I won't even go duck hunting during deer season anymore if this goes through. Its bad enough the was it is but now you'll have dumb shits seeing how far they can take a shot at them ducks (decoys) out there and hit them. Majority of the deer hunters in MN are dumb ass goons that I wouldn't trust with a full mag of .22 lr.

X2

Stupidity with a slug gun is one thing, a rifle is a completely different bowl of nuts.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”