Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Red lake ?

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:34 pm

Anyone know anything about the bite in Red? Thinking about running up there next weekend. Buddy of mine really wants to go so I guess I’m gonna go. The internet says it’s super slow and there’s really bad slush/flooding issues.

Idc I guess I don’t really plan on catching anything, and if get skunked I will be neither surprised or disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Re: Red lake ?

Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:47 pm

Some buddies of mine where kinda by red with snowmobiles out ice fishing. The slush was measured in feet in some spots. They spent a lot of time digging snowmobiles out.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:19 pm

I haven't heard much from Red besides the hot early bite.....

.....so it's the same as every year.

It's always the first big lake in the state to freeze up so it gets a lot of pressure very early ice, when even lakes like ML have open water still.....and the early bite is phenomenal followed by it getting real slow after the calendar flips to a new year, if not earlier than that.

Never say never, but I'd never fish Red this late. Go early or don't go.

With the bite on ML picking up due to forage levels getting low to where it's unhealthy for the lake, and not having to deal with a shitty slush situation.....why not hit Mille Lacs?

If the fishing sucks at least there's some bars you can go time in off the ice. At Red there isn't shit. Fukc, the only lodging options are camper cabins at Big Bog or sleeping in an ice house.

Why drive all that extra distance for worse fishing and a less enjoyable experience?
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:13 pm

My buddy, has a buddy that’s dad runs a resort and ice houses and is gonna give us a deal for $60/person. My buddy just likes doing off the wall shit sometimes. Last year he wanted to canoe the Pomme De Terre River for fishing opener. Not sure why. Could have paddled numerous other somewhat remote rivers with much better fishing.

I think I’m gonna try to talk him into fishing Mille Lacs. My buddy lives in Pilager so he might be down for it.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:58 pm

Have wanted to get up there, haven't ever been

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:15 pm

From what I have read water on top of the ice is unreal this year, not all areas but have seen some pic's that doesn't look real nice with houses and trucks in the slush...............
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:58 pm

Was funny they nicknamed the one area the graveyard

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:52 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Have wanted to get up there, haven't ever been

Go early, like real early, or don't go. It's too far and too in the middle of nowhere to go and not have it be great.

When I say middle of nowhere....it's unlike even 'North Dakota' middle of nowhere....where there's still people that can help you if you run into shit happening with a vehicle or a trailer....there's still always a bar where you can get a greasy burger.

Red has one small to medium-ish sized resort in West Wind and that's it....other than that and a dilapidated old shitty gas station there ain't nothing in Waskish.....and Waskish is an oasis in a desert of bog.

It's worth going, but go when in late November or the first two weeks in December when it's the only ice game in town and walk out. By the time guys are bringing wheel houses out it's already slowed way down usually.

The other thing about Red is what happens elsewhere, except it happens there like times ten......guys pick up and leave before sundown....AKA "Prime Time." For whatever reason it you take a piss an hour before sundown, then take one an hour later in the middle of the bite-fury, almost all the guys out fishing will be packed up and gone. I have no idea why.....seems absolutely retarded to me.

The other thing is that Red is shallow. Fishing out of Waskish in you're going to be in 14' or less. As a result, and in my opinion, the fish tend to be more sensitive to a lot of traffic up above.....another reason why I think it's better early. I think vehicles moving on the ice really fukcs with the walleyes and that's when going early, when only foot traffic is allowed out of West Wind, is the best. I think the fish aren't freaked out and are more prone to bite.

Even so, try to find an area away from everyone else. Red isn't like ML, especially just out of Waskish, in that there isn't structure. There's no need to group up with guys in order to be off a break or on the edge of a reef or mud flat....walleyes just roam this open basin so pick a spot away from others and try to be somewhat quiet after setting up. I'm normally loud as shit on the ice and don't think it's a factor, but on Red I try to get all my holes drilled and then be done with the auger....try not to be dropping 20lbs propane tanks hard on the ice rearranging the portable, shit like that. I don't know if it makes a difference but it's just one of those things that make me feel better about my effort since I want to make a pretty concerted one after driving four plus hours to get to a shithole in the middle of nowhere no one would ever go to if it weren't for a big lake having a shitload of walleyes in it, that you can still usually keep a limit of four on and catch a ton.

Good luck!
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:14 pm

I've been up there this time of year and I'll tell you that you don't want to go unless we get some cold ass weather....unless you like pushing, digging and getting soaked for hours on end.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:40 pm

I’m just worried my buddy is gonna be super gung ho to drive up to Red cause his wife got off work Sunday so he won’t wanna do something less “exciting”

Did I mention he wanted to float and fish then Pomme De Terre?!? He gets wacky ideas and won’t let them go.

I did some more cyber scouting and the water and slush in one vid I saw looked miserable.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”